• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s not every day that you get a Personal Letter from the Director of the US Mint, Verdis C. Gibson
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, EagleRJO said:

If they are "burnished" (which the US Mint usually calls uncirculated coins) it's not really my style. But the proof sets look nice, which I might enroll in instead of the ASEs until the mint fixes the issues with the capsules and presentation boxes for those.

Raw coins are hands down my preference to holder or put in flips myself, and I noticed dealers have the older Innovation dollar coins in raw BU grade for only like $2 to $3 which I can start adding to orders and throw them in the mylar flips for easy storage, to go with other circulated $1 coins I plan to start getting in rolls.  Boy, just what I need, another coin to start collecting. :insane: But at least they are not that expensive. ;)

Thats why I really like them. I can afford to buy them. So far Ive got all the proofs and reverse proofs in the mint packaging. Been buying them straight from the mint soon as they came out. I plan on keeping the whole series in the OGP.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:10 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats why I really like them. I can afford to buy them. So far Ive got all the proofs and reverse proofs in the mint packaging. Been buying them straight from the mint soon as they came out. I plan on keeping the whole series in the OGP.

@Hoghead515 Do you get the individual proof coins as you go, or the sets (except 2018) after they have been produced for that year which are a little less?  The sets looked nice from a quick look, but I'm thinking I probably would like the individual coins more which I assume come in some sort of capsule similar to the Proof ASEs. I was thinking I would like to holder them all the same and keep them together, including any others (I think 8 per year besides the proofs) that I get in BU grade over time.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Hoghead515 Do you get the individual proof coins as you go, or the sets (except 2018) after they have been produced for that year which are a little less?  The sets looked nice from a quick look, but I'm thinking I probably would like the individual coins more which I assume come in some sort of capsule similar to the Proof ASEs. I was thinking I would like to holder them all the same and keep them together, including any others (I think 8 per year besides the proofs) that I get in BU grade over time.

On the reverse proofs they were selling them indivudually.  Starting last year they put them all in one set like they do the regular proofs. I really liked when they sold them indivudally. They had some cool facts and pictures on the boxes about the innovation of that state. Must've been covid or something that caused them to stop doing that. 

I see these Innovation coins for sale at antique stores a lot in small tubes. One year per tube with 8 or 10 coins in them. I think they come out of a coin display like the Franklin Mint stuff.

I call them “brass Knickels” I buy fresh uncirculated P,D coins from sellers who buy rolls of them from the mint. They are always pristine (not proof) . I didn’t know there were two positions A and B having to do with the edge incusion placement. They are in a nice innovation album. I won’t get too serious about them but want to get at least uncirculated versions. They cost about $3 for the P,D.

Position A- edge lettering reads upside down if the obverse is facing up. 

Position B - edge lettering reads normally if the obverse is facing up. 

On 8/25/2022 at 3:09 PM, J P M said:

I see these Innovation coins for sale at antique stores a lot in small tubes. One year per tube with 8 or 10 coins in them. I think they come out of a coin display like the Franklin Mint stuff.

I only collect the ones the US Mint releases. Just the proofs and reverse proofs. I may start collecting the uncirculated ones later on.