• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jefferson Nickel - Appalachian Hoard of War Nickels

45 posts in this topic

I am curious, did all the coins graded from the so called Appalachian Hoard get designated as such on the holders? Was doing a little Ebay viewing this morning and 2 nickels are offered that do not have the designation on the holder. The seller indicates they are from that hoard. 

1945-S Jefferson Nickel, NGC MS67*T. Colorful Toning, PQ. Appalachian Hoard! | eBay

This one intrigues me because of being an older holder with both the * and T designation. This may be the first coin with a T designation that I have seen with the * as well.

Thanks to all in advance and enjoy your day!

Edited by Simple Collector

On 8/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I have never seen the older holder with a * .  I am guessing the ( T ) is for toned. 

Yes. NGC at one time used the T to designate toned. They may have also used  a W to denote a white coin. if I recall correctly.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, Lem E said:

I believe that most of the coins from the App hoard were housed in the gen 8 holder and many of them had both the star and the T designations. They were graded before the use of the full step designation. This is the one I own below. Here is a link to an informative thread. I have read another thread about these but I can’t seem to find it right now. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwimocnK5cH5AhVMj4kEHdjMCoUQrAIoA3oECAkQBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cointalk.com%2Fthreads%2Fthe-ngc-t-w-designations-the-lost-designations.208532%2F&usg=AOvVaw1bd4DOD7VrJdqUd2ZXE7-x

2341B68A-5BAA-487E-8760-ABB2D47CB40B.jpeg

57F45935-B27E-440E-9EBA-1DDD91206648.jpeg

That is stunning! I read a few articles which I find to be very interesting. Most attribute NGC as grading the majority. 

Thanks for your input!

Thanks I appreciate it very much. He is not on here too much anymore, but @lehigh96 knows more about these coins than anyone else I know. Actually, he is the person I bought my example from and he has or had many of these coins at one time or another. I believe he has one for sale right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175283900406?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4CzNv2-YTIG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=j9LjZZhwTEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that lots of the coins were determined to be AT'd.  I cant recall where I saw it though.  

On 8/12/2022 at 4:23 PM, erwindoc said:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that lots of the coins were determined to be AT'd.  I cant recall where I saw it though.  

A .T. I was looking at the E coin it almost looks like the juice puddled up around the word trust. ... Lol 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:13 PM, Simple Collector said:

NGC at one time used the T to designate toned. They may have also used  a W to denote a white coin.

absolutely correct i have a few of these  both W and T ....  these designations i believe have been retired by NGC....  maybe i can make a sticker?  :) 

On 8/12/2022 at 2:14 PM, Lem E said:

Thanks I appreciate it very much. He is not on here too much anymore, but @lehigh96 knows more about these coins than anyone else I know. Actually, he is the person I bought my example from and he has or had many of these coins at one time or another. I believe he has one for sale right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175283900406?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4CzNv2-YTIG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=j9LjZZhwTEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I find these interesting, but I am not sure how to determine the value.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, Lem E said:

Yup, Lehigh96. His normal haunt is CoinTalk. He’s a “true believer” on the virtue of extreme toning. He cheered my ban from CT literally because I prefer white coins. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, erwindoc said:

I have to say for as beautiful as my example is in hand, I am in the AT camp. I have seen and own quite a few toned nickels and these just have a look like no other. Mine is quite tame compared to a lot of other App coins I have seen. I have another App coin that I believe is from a later submission. Different holder and no T designation, but it has the same type of toning and did receive a star desg. The 2 coins I have look very similar. At one point in searching for info on this hoard I came across another set of submission #s that are supposed to be connected and my coin had that #. If it is or isn’t an actual App coin I can’t say for certain. It is actually quite difficult to find much info on these. Most of it comes from coin forum threads.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:25 PM, Simple Collector said:

I find these interesting, but I am not sure how to determine the value.

I’m not sure how these are valued either, but I would have to assume that the more wild the toning gets, the higher the price goes. Especially if they are in the original slab and of course a higher grade. I’m not really sure how many of these coins there are. I think they are not limited to war nickels either. I have seen a 50D that was claimed to be from this hoard and it had a submission # that lines up.

This is the other coin that I think may be associated with this hoard. Sorry I don't have a slab shot at the moment. Looks a lot like the other one though don’t you think?

CC134464-8B0B-411E-A46C-FC2746DAD769.jpeg

79DC1DA1-7C96-4CB2-9833-985EE0696686.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
Slab shot added.

Oh boy, if you suggest to Lehigh that the App hoard nickels are AT, he may have an aneurism right there at his screen. 

On 8/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, VKurtB said:

Oh boy, if you suggest to Lehigh that the App hoard nickels are AT, he may have an aneurism right there at his screen. 

That is strictly my opinion. I have seen it debated back and forth. I have no concrete evidence on any of this other than what I have actually seen with the coins I own. 

On 8/12/2022 at 6:20 PM, Lem E said:

I have to say for as beautiful as my example is in hand, I am in the AT camp. I have seen and own quite a few toned nickels and these just have a look like no other. Mine is quite tame compared to a lot of other App coins I have seen. I have another App coin that I believe is from a later submission. Different holder and no T designation, but it has the same type of toning and did receive a star desg. The 2 coins I have look very similar. At one point in searching for info on this hoard I came across another set of submission #s that are supposed to be connected and my coin had that #. If it is or isn’t an actual App coin I can’t say for certain. It is actually quite difficult to find much info on these. Most of it comes from coin forum threads.

I’m not sure how these are valued either, but I would have to assume that the more wild the toning gets, the higher the price goes. Especially if they are in the original slab and of course a higher grade. I’m not really sure how many of these coins there are. I think they are not limited to war nickels either. I have seen a 50D that was claimed to be from this hoard and it had a submission # that lines up.

I have a set of supposed submission numbers for this hoard. I do not recall where I got them and they may or may not be correct.  I have 291239, 291240, 291279, 271281, 207335 and 207281. Based on the dash numbers, I have seen coins that are as high as 046 against one submission number. I am also not sure if it was ever determined how many submitters there may have been.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:36 PM, Simple Collector said:

I have a set of supposed submission numbers for this hoard. I do not recall where I got them and they may or may not be correct.  I have 291239, 291240, 291279, 271281, 207335 and 207281. Based on the dash numbers, I have seen coins that are as high as 046 against one submission number. I am also not sure if it was ever determined how many submitters there may have been.

Did they previously have only 6 digits? It’s 7 for a long time now. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, VKurtB said:

Did they previously have only 6 digits? It’s 7 for a long time now. 

In the beginning, they were 6 digits!

On 8/12/2022 at 6:36 PM, Simple Collector said:

The second coin I posted has a sub# of 207281. I thought I had seen that # and apparently you did too. I’m going to have to assume it is in a gen 9 or a little higher holder. It’s just a little different. I’ll have to find that Conder thread again.

Did I read this correctly , that they are marketing these as the AT find but are not providing any attribution?  I could have read this wrong. Other than the novelty, how will this be “valued” in a few years?  It not the Titanic or another famous wreck. 

On 8/13/2022 at 6:37 PM, CoffeeTime said:

Did I read this correctly , that they are marketing these as the AT find but are not providing any attribution?  I could have read this wrong. Other than the novelty, how will this be “valued” in a few years?  It not the Titanic or another famous wreck. 

Kermit the Frog put it best, “It’s not easy being green.”

On 8/12/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lem E said:

The second coin I posted has a sub# of 207281. I thought I had seen that # and apparently you did too. I’m going to have to assume it is in a gen 9 or a little higher holder. It’s just a little different. I’ll have to find that Conder thread again.

Here is the link. I finally bookmarked it so I wouldn't have to hunt it every time.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/117773-ngc-slab-varieties

On 8/30/2022 at 12:09 PM, Simple Collector said:

Looking through some war nickels on ebay the other day and low and behold this one popped up. Based on the certification, it appears to be from the Appalachian Hoard. Pictures of the coin are terrible. Cannot wait to see in hand!

1944-P Appalachian Hoard.png

I saw this one and thought about bidding on it, but I’m not sure how many of these I really need. They are very vivid coins and I think you will like the in hand experience. The color of yellow on these coins is very distinct and the pinks will really pop off the coin. Congrats on the pick up. Here is another one I ran across. https://www.ebay.com/itm/403483647351?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Y-PsFmvfQPq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=j9LjZZhwTEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 8/30/2022 at 1:46 PM, Lem E said:

I saw this one and thought about bidding on it, but I’m not sure how many of these I really need. They are very vivid coins and I think you will like the in hand experience. The color of yellow on these coins is very distinct and the pinks will really pop off the coin. Congrats on the pick up. Here is another one I ran across. https://www.ebay.com/itm/403483647351?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Y-PsFmvfQPq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=j9LjZZhwTEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The Appalachian Hoard also included the 1950-D? I was not aware of that!

On 8/30/2022 at 12:53 PM, Simple Collector said:

The Appalachian Hoard also included the 1950-D? I was not aware of that!

I have seen one other App hoard 50D besides this one. Can’t quite remember what it sold for.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Yup, Lehigh96. His normal haunt is CoinTalk. He’s a “true believer” on the virtue of extreme toning. He cheered my ban from CT literally because I prefer white coins. 

I did not, you were a hoot, I loved having you around.  I know you preferred white coins, but IIRC, you loved the 1960's toned proof Jefferson Nickels from the cellophane packs.

peOfepd.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, VKurtB said:

Aneurism?  No!  People have been calling the Appalachian Jefferson Nickels AT since they appeared on the market in 2000.  In fact, Bob Campbell (the ANA President 2001-2003 not Robec) made a grading video where he specifically called out the Appalachians as AT in his tutorial.  I simply disagree with the assertion that they are AT.  I have owned dozens of these coins over the years, and none of them looked hinky in hand, none of them have ever turned, and I have seen other war nickels with similar color schemes, just not as vibrant as most of the Appalachians.