• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Quiz With No Correct Answer

104 posts in this topic

Question: If you went to a bank and bought a box of rolled nickels, ($100 I think) and checked the dates of all the coins, which date, FOR WHERE YOU LIVE, would be less likely to be in there, 1939(P) or 2009P? How about 2009D?

I don’t hunt rolls. I only check pocket change I receive in normal commerce. But I KNOW how many 2009 nickels I have found in circulation all time - ONE! I have found TWO 1937 Buffalo Nickels in circulation since 2009. And I have found 5 1939 nickels. 

I'd say the 2009-D nickel, which I've never found in circulation.  I found one circulated 2009-P nickel within the last year or two, and it's the only one I've ever found.  Decades ago, I found quite a few 1939s, but it's now been many years since I've found one.  

Both 2009 nickels and dimes were low mintage in the context of modern circulating issues, though not otherwise.  I found one uncirculated 2009-P dime shortly after their year of issue and none since. I've never found a 2009-D dime in circulation either.  A dealer told me that a large number of rolls of both denominations from both mints were hoarded. If so they're unlikely to ever become "rare" coins.

I recall having read that a very high percentage of 2009 nickels went into the banking systems of non-state territories and possessions, aka Puerto Rico and Guam, etc. 

On 8/10/2022 at 4:26 PM, Lem E said:

I would say the 2009 P in my area. I have found one 2009 D and have never found a 39 from any mint in circulation. New stuff in my neck of the woods is all from Denver.

I have 3 39 Ps I have found roll hunting 

S20220810_0004.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Question: If you went to a bank and bought a box of rolled nickels, ($100 I think) and checked the dates of all the coins, which date, FOR WHERE YOU LIVE, would be less likely to be in there, 1939(P) or 2009P? How about 2009D?

Hmmmm, taxing, quite taxing. I don't know much about nickels, or coin rolls, but i know nickels, and i see 1939P nickels all day. I probably see those other ones, but who cares about anything that modern that doesn't have an S or a W, am i right? @Dano1969, sorry to call you out, but how many 1939P nickels did i send you, do you happen to know? 

Edit* i kind of know about the low mintage 2009 nickels because of the financial thingy that happened. But i don't look for them. Guess i should start

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Hmmmm, taxing, quite taxing. I don't know much about nickels, or coin rolls, but i know nickels, and i see 1939P nickels all day. I probably see those other ones, but who cares about anything that modern that doesn't have an S or a W, am i right? @Dano1969, sorry to call you out, but how many 1939P nickels did i send you, do you happen to know? 

Check for 2009. Scarce in the real world. Yes, a lot are in hoarded solid rolls. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, VKurtB said:

Check for 2009. Scarce in the real world. Yes, a lot are in hoarded solid rolls. 

I kind of knew about them but didn't take them seriously. I'll see exactly what they look like, and keep my eyes peeled. You'll be the first to know. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, VKurtB said:

I recall having read that a very high percentage of 2009 nickels went into the banking systems of non-state territories and possessions, aka Puerto Rico and Guam, etc. 

Do you believe this happened with the 09 dimes as well?

On 8/10/2022 at 4:05 PM, Lem E said:

Do you believe this happened with the 09 dimes as well?

That would match my recollection. 

Maybe I could get a research grant to visit the territories and search coin rolls? Nah. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, VKurtB said:

I was just on PCGS coin chart and there are no listings for 2009 P or D MS coins only FS ?

Just think about THIS for a second. 2009 was the year of the Territorial Quarters. It makes sense that the territories were “over served” with new coinage that year. 

On 8/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I was just on PCGS coin chart and there are no listings for 2009 P or D MS coins only FS ?

Really? You’re on NGC’s site and you checked PCGS’ coin chart? OMG. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Really? You’re on NGC’s site and you checked PCGS’ coin chart? OMG. 

Yes I use both and my red book

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 8/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Yes I use both 

I drive a Ford, and I don’t go to the Chevy dealer for parts and advice. 

NGC pops / all grades

2009 P - 212 6FS / 10 5FS / 10 no steps

2009 D - 217 6FS / 26 5FS / 16 no steps

PCGS pops / all grades

2009 P - 400 FS / 3 no FS

2009 D - 248 FS / 6 no FS

Edited by Lem E

On 8/10/2022 at 5:18 PM, VKurtB said:

I drive a Ford, and I don’t go to the Chevy dealer for parts and advice. 

Yes I agree but coins can have many different prices and variety's. So if you are a shopper you have to use both for comparisons. I just thought it was odd there is no listing in PCGS for MS 09's 

The NGC population report for 2009P 5¢ non, non, non is 10 coins, ALL grades. 

That’s non-matte, non-5FS, non-6FS.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/10/2022 at 4:25 PM, Lem E said:

NGC pops / all grades

2009 P - 212 6FS / 10 5FS / 10 no steps

2009 D - 217 6FS / 26 5FS / 16 no steps

PCGS pops / all grades

2009 P - 400 FS / 3 no FS

2009 D - 248 FS / 6 no FS

This tells me people submit really nice coins for the most part. Kinda the opposite of newbies here with questions. 

On 8/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, VKurtB said:

This tells me people submit really nice coins for the most part. Kinda the opposite of newbies here with questions. 

I don’t believe I saw anything over a grade of 66.

Edit - NGC shows 1 09P in a 67 6FS.

Edited by Lem E
Correction

On 8/10/2022 at 5:16 PM, Lem E said:

I don’t believe I saw anything over a grade of 66.

Edit - NGC shows 1 09P in a 67 6FS.

The question is how many mark free ones there are. I bought a few solid rolls and they were quite “baggy”, worse than surrounding years. Maybe they had a drunken party in Puerto Rico before I got them. Rum can getcha. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, VKurtB said:

The question is how many mark free ones there are. I bought a few solid rolls and they were quite “baggy”, worse than surrounding years. Maybe they had a drunken party in Puerto Rico before I got them. Rum can getcha. 

Doesn’t look like 2008 nickels did well either. Particularly Denver coins.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, VKurtB said:

The NGC population report for 2009P 5¢ non, non, non is 10 coins, ALL grades. 

That’s non-matte, non-5FS, non-6FS.

It is going to be a fun hunt to get those 09's in my registry set ,

On 8/10/2022 at 6:29 PM, VKurtB said:

Also VKurtB  it is very hard to find any Nickels after 2006 without bag marks in rolls and even a lot of the MS coins I have seen are peppered with them. The edges are just to sharp right out of the shoot they mark up.