• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1847 Seated Liberty Dollar

12 posts in this topic

My brother sent me a picture of this 1847 Seated Liberty Dollar. Can you tell me what is wrong with this dollar. I have seen at least 3 red flags, but want to verity.

Thanks in advance

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

I can't get my eye off that meteorite streak. Real all or not, every coin deserves a respectable, more presentable holder. A flip would do. And if not, give it a proper burial casket.  IMNSHO

This goes beyond being a counterfeit or a replica.  It's a "ludicrous forgery" of a coin that never existed, much like the "1879-S" trade dollars that sometimes turn up.  (The Carson City mint didn't start striking coins until 1870, and the motto "In God We Trust" didn't appear on Seated dollars until 1866.)

On 8/8/2022 at 10:37 PM, Sandon said:

This goes beyond being a counterfeit or a replica.  It's a "ludicrous forgery" of a coin that never existed, much like the "1879-S" trade dollars that sometimes turn up.  (The Carson City mint didn't start striking coins until 1870, and the motto "In God We Trust" didn't appear on Seated dollars until 1866.)

...correct, its just one of thousands of chinese counterfeits flooding the markets, some r even more ludicrous than this one, there r some liberty seated obverse, bust dollar or flowing hair design reverses...once had a "collector" show me his whitman album of seated dollars complete in mint state all chinese counterfeits...big surprise down the road....

yes, the motto was not put on the Seated Liberty Dollars until 1866 and the Carson City mint did not start operation until 1870. Even the CC is a poor imitation and the motto lettering is very primitive. 

Thank you for all your comments..

There are literally THOUSANDS of websites selling this junk - THOUSANDS!

This kind of junk is all over the place but nobody admits buying it from the original illegal source. Brothers, uncles, co-workers, and even dealers have it, but seemingly no one started the chain of criminal activity. Hmm. Odd.