• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Pretty high. That’s as detailed as I get with photos. But what is that next to the wing at our left?

Edited by VKurtB

I’ll guess MS65, due primarily to what appears to be subdued luster (and the stain? to the left of the eagle’s left facing wing).

MS66. Shes a beauty. I guessed  MS 66 because the few little dings on the right of the reverse and the rim at the top of the obverse. 

It's more like a MS64-65 to me due to abrasions, spots, and a not quite full strike, but I've never been impressed with most allegedly high grade Morgan dollars.

I am seeing what Mark saw regarding luster, and that is a MAJOR attribute for me in Mint State coins, almost MORE important than nicks and hits. But I’m thinking this MIGHT BE a scan, and not a photo. Or if it is a photo, it’s probably using large format lighting instead of small light sources. Lighting is soooooo hyper-important to grading, AND “guess the grade”ing. 

This is the primary reason I do not why I do not relish the prospect of judging other collectos' coins. The OP is already painfully aware of the mysterious "splotch" next to the eagle's right wing. (He may know what caused it and may have even tried to remove it.) I know MS-67 is being generous but the Final Verdict rendered will will the Great z's to make which likely coincide with @MarkFeld. Regardless, the outcome, I would suggest the least instrusive means of conservation should the OP wish to explore that possibility.  It really is a very nice Morgan!

On 7/26/2022 at 8:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

This is the primary reason I do not why I do not relish the prospect of judging other collectos' coins. The OP is already painfully aware of the mysterious "splotch" next to the eagle's right wing. (He may know what caused it and may have even tried to remove it.) I know MS-67 is being generous but the Final Verdict rendered will will the Great z's to make which likely coincide with @MarkFeld. Regardless, the outcome, I would suggest the least instrusive means of conservation should the OP wish to explore that possibility.  It really is a very nice Morgan!

Considering that jimbo27 said he’s “in the process of buying this coin” and that it’s in a holder, I seriously doubt that he’s tried to remove the “splotch”. And there are plenty of very nice examples available for that date, so it wouldn’t make sense to buy that one, if the plan were to spend additional money to have it conserved.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, MarkFeld said:

Considering that jimbo27 said he’s “in the process of buying this coin” and that it’s in a holder, I seriously doubt that he’s tried to remove the “splotch”. And there are plenty of very nice examples available for that date, so it wouldn’t make sense to buy that one, if the plan were to spend additional money to have it conserved.

Agreed.

Thank you all who participated, the very first photos in this post were the sellers as are the first 2 here, I just copied them. The last 2 are NGC photos at the time of grading. No one got it exactly right, but some were close, well here they are.

s-l1600 (33).jpg

s-l1600 (34).jpg

4886977_Full_Obv.jpg

4886977_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by jimbo27

On 7/27/2022 at 6:44 PM, MarkFeld said:

Which photo most closely resembles the reverse “splotch”? It doesn’t really show in the last one.

I just purchased the coin last night, not in hand yet.

Wow!  Judging by the last two photos, presto! Now we've got cartwheels and the mysterious terrain is but an afterthought. I asked an older woman in thr supermarket what the "medical" name for that was, and she cheerfully said, "Why, that's a liver spot, Sonny!"

(Wait'll the Hon. @VKurtB hears you bought the coin sight unseen!  Personally, I think you've done very well for yourself, all things considered.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Minor die polishing.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Wow!  Judging by the last two photos, presto! Now we've got cartwheels and the mysterious terrain is but an afterthought. I asked an older woman in thr supermarket what the "medical" name for that was, and she cheerfully said, "Why, that's a liver spot, Sonny!"

(Wait'll the Hon. @VKurtB hears you bought the coin sight unseen!  Personally, I think you've done very well for yourself, all things considered.

I’m extremely impressed that you could reach such a conclusion without having any idea what the coin cost. That does make a difference in most cases.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, MarkFeld said:

I’m extremely impressed that you could reach such a conclusion without having any idea what the coin cost. That does make a difference in most cases.

You're right, of course!  But it goes everything I've been taught to be that forward. If he discloses it, that's one thing. But I don't believe being that intrusive would be proper on my part. I am sure you would agree. 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I had the sellers photos and NGC photos before I made an offer, which they accepted and was still cheaper than most ms65s. I think the coin was graded properly. Oh, because you were curious $255.

Edited by jimbo27

My concern about the lighting was completely justified. I still say the first set were flatbed scans. The lack of any color on the holographic label is a dead giveaway. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/27/2022 at 6:53 PM, jimbo27 said:

I had the sellers photos and NGC photos before I made an offer, which they accepted and was still cheaper than most ms65s. I think the coin was graded properly. Oh, because you were curious $255.

If the coin’s nice, that seems like a reasonable price. That said, it doesn’t sound cheaper than most 65’s. With a quick search, I found seven different PCGS and NGC MS65’s that were auctioned since May and which brought between $180 and $228, each.

Above all, I hope you like and enjoy the coin.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:44 PM, MarkFeld said:

Which photo most closely resembles the reverse “splotch”? It doesn’t really show in the last one.

Just got the coin yesterday, here is photo of the splotch with my microscope, sorry that is the best it will do. In hand the splotch most resembles the NGC photo, it looks like someone scraped something off the coin, whatever it was is unknown.

WIN_20220801_07_54_08_Pro (2).jpg

Now the heavenly bodies surrounding it look like it's being stopped for a traffic check.  The only thought now is without the "scrape" and having been previously deemed "wear-free," what is the best grade anyone could have hoped for?  The laceration in and of itself was most unfortunate.