• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ngc vs iccs
2 2

13 posts in this topic

As long as you're cruising Charlie and taking in the sights, may I suggest making a pit stop at an older thread, begun Feb.3, 2017, entitled:

"I C C S - Any Opinions?"

I myself have never dealt with them, but others here may have.

You will be comparing fresh, sweet, juicy Gala apples with crabapple and vinegar mush.

I don't run into a lot of ICCS coins to have a firm opinion, but the ones I do I generally find them to be in-line to slightly overgraded. Years ago I'd have said they grade the same or stricter.

I know a lot of people have complained that they have loosened their standards over the past few years. Same can be said for NGC/PCGS. 

A TPGS is only as good as the graders it employs at a particular point in time. [Aside:This reminds me of the time Federal judge Edward Weinfeld--widely considered to be Supreme Court material before his untimely death--scolded a bunch of lawyers representing IBM... "You keep referring to 'that office' in the DOJ. I want the name of the person who occupies the room in that office responsible for generating this policy!"]  

My only concern with TPGS is how can you adjudge a coin to be an MS-67--in the total absence of the availability of 68's, 69's and 70's with which to compare it with?  🐓 

On 7/20/2022 at 6:50 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

As long as you're cruising Charlie and taking in the sights, may I suggest making a pit stop at an older thread, begun Feb.3, 2017, entitled:

Thanks!

On 7/20/2022 at 10:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

A TPGS is only as good as the graders it employs at a particular point in time. [Aside:This reminds me of the time Federal judge Edward Weinfeld--widely considered to be Supreme Court material before his untimely death--scolded a bunch of lawyers representing IBM... "You keep referring to 'that office' in the DOJ. I want the name of the person who occupies the room in that office responsible for generating this policy!"]  

My only concern with TPGS is how can you adjudge a coin to be an MS-67--in the total absence of the availability of 68's, 69's and 70's with which to compare it with?  🐓 

...by definition regardless of how variable that may be...its certainly possible there r many issues where no 68,69,70 coins may exist, hence "top pops"...if u need a comparable use the 66s....

On 7/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, zadok said:

...by definition regardless of how variable that may be...its certainly possible there r many issues where no 68,69,70 coins may exist, hence "top pops"...if u need a comparable use the 66s....

[I am truly sorry a colleague has expressly forbidden me from using the quite apt term, Great Z, in referring to you.]  🐓 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:26 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I am truly sorry a colleague has expressly forbidden me from using the quite apt term, Great Z, in referring to you.]  🐓 

...i wasnt aware that u had any peers....maintain ur fief being a serf sucks....

On 7/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Henri Charriere said:

One more opinion, mine, may be found: last post on last page of "French 20-franc gold roosters," (subject to Moderation's approval). 11/01/2023.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Added info.