• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer F. U. N. Orlando "+" why did we have to go there!

10 posts in this topic

I agree the + and - thing are a big money maker or looser it is already a hard pill to swallow when the price change between grades is over the top now we have Green and Gold +and -  :preach:Forget raising the scale from 70 to 100 in reality the Sheldon Scale is now 3 X 70 =210 and add one more for a MS70+ gold bean..... That is a coin with no marks that is invisible inside a holder. It is worth a little bit more than a cricket (thumbsu

On 7/11/2022 at 7:09 AM, JT2 said:

Whew so that was over now i come to this thing that i  hadnt been paying much attention too the big fat "+" sign.  When on gods green earth did we start with full on onslot of + signs.  Everytime i turned around well it is a  Plus ... heres your Plus sign...   When did this money grab hit us full on?  I mean when i firsts started we had  UNc, BU, Gem BU.. then we started with the 60, 63, 65.  nothing ever got past a 65 unless she was really special and i mean like wife special.  now we have 61, 62, 64, 66, 67......  if i keep taking about this they may star implemting half grades.. oh that is a 64 1/2 + * yadd yadda yadda............  

Nice review, hope you enjoyed the show, JT. (thumbsu

But regardless of grading quirks today, I believe we are light-years better than the days of UNC, BU, Choice BU, Gem BU, etc.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

JT2 was correct to rely on his own informed judgment and taste where they conflicted with that of the grading services.  I personally prefer a lightly circulated but fully struck specimen of a coin to one that was graded MS 65 or higher by a grading service but lacks details due to a weak strike.  The problem is that many coin buyers are more interested in the number on that little paper tag and the presence and color of a sticker than they are in the coin itself. 

On 7/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, RWB said:

The persistent "coin con" is to believe the holder label and not the coin.

Hopefully...and most of the time I think it is true....the holder label and the coin match up.

Not always.....but how often did the dealer scribbles in the white areas of the 2x2 match up with the coin pre-1986, right ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, DWLange said:

The quality of strike is not a big component of certified grading, unless the striking deficiency is extreme. Grading services evaluate more on the basis of surface quality, luster, toning, etc. I prefer a fully struck coin over a flashy one that's weakly struck, but most buyers are drawn to the sizzle. That's just a market reality.

Market grading yea...NOT!  :screwy:

On 7/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, Scavenger1 said:

how they used to hype the coin sales back when coins were raw (before the stickers).

Quality coins sell themselves.  They dont need the hype it is written all over their faces!!!