• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"First Trade dollar was made of tin
1 1

10 posts in this topic

This little note shows that the "first" trade dollar was made of tin, not silver.

770829782_PagesfromRG104E-6Box3Vol4LtrSentbyDM-SuptdMay171873-Sep291873-23.thumb.jpg.ee6f7ae63203324883bce5e950f42bc0.jpg

U.S. Mint

July 11, 1873

Hon H. R. Linderman,

Dir U.S. Mint

Dear Sir:

I send you specimen of trade dollar in tin, struck to-day. We will commence the regular coinage of Trade $ in a few hours. The enclosed will give you a totally correct idea of the silver dollar.

Yours very Truly,

James Pollock

Edited by RWB

I trust all who have read your post will agree this is a correct usage of the term "specimen" as we have come to know it in numismatics.  

On 7/10/2022 at 10:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I trust all who have read your post will agree this is a correct usage of the term "specimen" as we have come to know it in numismatics.  

...only partially correct...its not a one-size-fits-all word....

On 7/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, CaptHenway said:

Interesting that he calls it a "silver dollar."

Much of the early Trade dollar correspondence uses that language, as do newspaper articles.This seems to support the fallacy of issuing a "look alike" "name alike" coin then trying to limit it through a techno-legal restriction on legal tender limit. This little extract (July 1) might indicate general thought about the Trade dollar....

Image3.thumb.jpg.d1ce7e740176da7a4fc88dd5acaba559.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 7/10/2022 at 10:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

"Specimen" merely means "an example or sample" not something special. The first silver Trade dollar was also a specimen given to Treasury Secretary Richardson.

[I have re-visited the Periodic Table of Elements to make sense of James Pollock's choice of material.

Unknown by most numismatists, and people in general, Lithium, coming in after two gases is a metal at #3. The heaviest metal Osmium, is #76. (Why Platinum, #78, and Gold, #79 were not chosen may have something to do with their relative softness and value. Silver is #47: compare that with Nickel #28, Copper #29 and Zinc #30.  Sn, or Tin, #50, seems to have been a safe bet. But why it was chosen to produce a specimen rendering forwarded to the U.S. Mint director, remains a mystery to me.]

To treat your comment as a serious question ---

Tin was often used for inexpensive medals and samples. It was easy to press into shape, cheap and had a stable silver-like color. Lead was also used, but it darkened rapidly and when oxide formed it looked like it had a fungus infection.

Tin was a valuable wartime metal due to its use as an alloy metal. To this day I still save tin scraps to use for bullet casting but I admit that much of it may be wasted in the dross during the heating process. I save certain wine and bourbon caps when I find them.

On 7/15/2022 at 2:09 PM, numisport said:

I save certain wine and bourbon caps when I find them.

Yep -- if I can remember them after emptying the bottle... :)