• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does NGC automatically grade FS (full steps) on nickels or does the submitter have to pay for variety plus?

12 posts in this topic

You may or may not already know this but the FS designation is only given to business strike coins. Proof coins will not receive the designation. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The graders looks for strike characters such as 5FS, FB, PL, etc. automatically when grading raw coins, and there is no extra charge. If you have a coin already certified by NGC, then you would have to get it regraded when seeking such add ons.

"Does NGC automatically grade FS (full steps) on nickels...?"

Not usually on Buffalo nickels, no. ;)

On 7/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, DWLange said:

The graders looks for strike characters such as 5FS, FB, PL, etc. automatically when grading raw coins, and there is no extra charge. If you have a coin already certified by NGC, then you would have to get it regraded when seeking such add ons.

Thanks so much for the explanation!

On 7/18/2022 at 10:00 AM, JamesBell said:

Thank you so much, I didn't know about that!

Are you kidding me? How big of a scumbag do you have to be to change someone's post to make it look like they are the spammer?

On 10/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, Just Bob said:

Are you kidding me? How big of a scumbag do you have to be to change someone's post to make it look like they are the spammer?

I am really confused. I am new to this forum, what do you mean?

edit: Nm, I just read his post. Wtf, that is so weird he would go through the trouble of changing someone’s post… I am thinking it might be some advanced bot.

Edited by MatthewDM11

On 10/26/2022 at 9:58 PM, MatthewDM11 said:

I am really confused. I am new to this forum, what do you mean?

edit: Nm, I just read his post. Wtf, that is so weird he would go through the trouble of changing someone’s post… I am thinking it might be some advanced bot.

Welcome to the forum, Matthew. I hope you did not think that I was talking to you. I was referring to JamesBell, who, as you stated, is possibly not even a real person. The post has been reported, and hopefully we will not be bothered by him/it again.

Did you ever submit those full step nickels?

On 10/26/2022 at 8:54 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum, Matthew. I hope you did not think that I was talking to you. I was referring to JamesBell, who, as you stated, is possibly not even a real person. The post has been reported, and hopefully we will not be bothered by him/it again.

Did you ever submit those full step nickels?

I did! I made several submissions and have been happy with the results. The only gripe I had was a 1942-P came back graded 67+ but no FS designation when it clearly is FS. Fortunately when I sent it in for a regrade, it came back with a FS grade. Here are my two favorites that I got back.

26CF591F-32F3-4F9B-96BB-06ECA5BFED97.jpeg

3F3AA2B8-764A-4709-9221-215A9B7990D0.jpeg