• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Free" Coin Grading Assistance Services
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I was curious if anyone has come across or used the services of CoinAppraisers.com, a site that apparently is associated with the NY currency auction company Sack's Bowers Galleries in NY near where I live.

Looks like if you arrange to send them coins, they will submit them to NGC or PCSG for you at no extra charge, with their volume grading discounts and faster turn-around times.  I'm just thinking what's the catch?  Maybe because they buy and sell coins at auction for a living it gives them a crack at possibly buying the coins from you.

Any thoughts?

As @RWB said, it's a way for them to get a look at potential material for their auctions.  They may also be hoping that it flushes out some  older collections (i.e., fresh material) that may never have seen the inside of a TPG.

If you think the total fees are reasonable compared to doing It yourself or using a local dealer, and don't mind a potential consignment sales pitch if you have decent stuff, I don't see any significant concerns going through them

I don't have any really rare or valuable coins yet, but I have some that could be in the $500 to $1,000 range if they grade out favorably, so I might give it a shot using them and see how hard they hit me with sales pitches ... lol 

And I have heard that a potential $400 to $500 value is where you start looking at the extra cost for grading out raw coins.

If you can get to a larger coin show, some dealers will give you an estimate of condition face-to-face....free.

Some dealers who routinely submit coins to PCGS, ANACS and NGC will pre-screen coins to avoid wasted fees and give the owner an idea of what condition to expect. That might be more efficient than an "assistance service."

Great Collections has a much better deal on grading/selling imo.  But most coins need to be reviewed before submitting for issues.  And you don't want a coin you think of as a gem coming back as AU58 or worse.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, Nutmeg Coin said:

And you don't want a coin you think of as a gem coming back as AU58 or worse.

Actually, I think that's one of the better honest outcomes. Better to know now than find out later.