• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trying to grade.... help?

3 posts in this topic

So I went to my first coin show in Long Beach last weekend, it was pretty awesome. I got to talk to some of the dealers, sold some stuff, bought some stuff. But I'm still unclear on the grading process. I see guys selling one coin graded MS65 and 2 booths down the same coin in the same condition is a MS63 neither were slabbed. Graded by an anonymous person. So what's the trick?

Going off of The Red Book id say this is an MS63? The pictures are not the greatest but any tips, would be greatly appreciated. 

20220705_211551.jpg

20220705_211541.jpg

20220705_212834.jpg

It looks like it came from a proof set not long ago ,some fine scratches from what I can see there may be a nick on the cheek. I would go with a AU58 maybe even a MS60 if it was in hand sometimes you see more with the eye.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It is a slightly mishandled proof, though seemingly without any actual wear. Since 1964 proof cents are so common in gem grades it would not be worth having certified.