• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filled in mint marks
1 1

18 posts in this topic

First I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my other questions, I appreciate your help.  I saw a coin that was being offered on a website.  I think it was a Kennedy half dollar.  The coin had a filled in mint mark and was listed for close to $1000.  Are filled in mint marks really that unusual or was this person hoping for a sucker?  I have a couple of coins that look like they have filled in mint marks.  I have included one of my coins. 

Quarter with Filled in Mint Mark 2.jpg

Edited by Newbie_7

He was looking for a sucker. Filled in D and P mm are known as broken posts and have little or no premium. There would be 100’s of thousands of them out there. If the post broke off half way through a run, you would have as many filled in mm as you would have regular mm 

They were hoping for a sucker. Filled mint marks aren't uncommon, as Stang points out.

Ive literally seen hundreds of them looking through change the past few years. Was the seller on Esty? Its loaded with crooks like that. We usually warn everyone to stay away from Esty. There are a few on Ebay to avoid also. Alot of good sellers on there to. Just gotta watch who you buy from. But Ive seen sellers online trying to sell pocket change for thousands of dollars and it only worth face value. Sadly there are an endless amount of crooks out there trying to take advantage of people. Usually when you try to google a coin the first thing that pops up is a listing of someone trying to sell a common quarter or something for $10,000 dollars. 9 times out of 10 its on a link to Esty. 

On 7/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive literally seen hundreds of them looking through change the past few years. Was the seller on Esty? Its loaded with crooks like that. We usually warn everyone to stay away from Esty. There are a few on Ebay to avoid also. Alot of good sellers on there to. Just gotta watch who you buy from. But Ive seen sellers online trying to sell pocket change for thousands of dollars and it only worth face value. Sadly there are an endless amount of crooks out there trying to take advantage of people. Usually when you try to google a coin the first thing that pops up is a listing of someone trying to sell a common quarter or something for $10,000 dollars. 9 times out of 10 its on a link to Esty. 

Yes, I was on Etsy.  Here are some of the rare coins you can find listed on Etsy; 

1776-1976 U.S. Quarter -- NO Mint mark -- (RARE) $1,000.00

RARE 1964 No Mint Mark Penny!  $646.25

Mint Error - Steel Penny, WWII, 1943

Edited by Newbie_7

On 7/4/2022 at 1:53 PM, Newbie_7 said:

Yes, I was on Etsy.  Here are some of the rare coins you can find listed on Etsy; 

1776-1976 U.S. Quarter -- NO Mint mark -- (RARE) $1,000.00

RARE 1964 No Mint Mark Penny!  $646.25

Mint Error - Steel Penny, WWII, 1943

Yea they got some doozies. 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:18 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Hows it going Modwriter? Aint seen you in a while. 

Hello @Hoghead515 I'm doing good. Thanks. I have been on the move and taking a break from coins. My coins are in storage for now. Hope you are doing good too.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, Newbie_7 said:

Bummer!  I would have about 7 grand just from my quarters. (shrug)

If you are new, and you have already found 7 of them, you probably have a good indication that it is not something that is "rare".  These can be fun to collect, but they carry no premium.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:51 PM, DWLange said:

Correction...that's a Duesy.

The car that created the noun “doozy”. Prior to the car, “doozy” was an adjective. 

Edited by VKurtB

I have included one of my coins. 

What's worse is that isn't even a filled mintmark. it's a damaged one that has taken a hit and pushed metal over the center of the mintmark.