• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Circulation wear on a coin vs. coin on coin friction/transport wear? Telling the difference.

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.  I have a question that has perplexed me for some time now.  I am familiar with normal and visible wear and circulation issues that will remove a coin from a Mint State designation.  However, I often come across amazingly beautiful examples of both coppers and zincolns such as this one (not a great example of a pristine coin I have chosen to supply, but it shows what I am inquiring about) that have what appears to be discolored areas of a purple like tint.  These areas are usually atop the higher relief design elements (right in the location that wear is most evident obviously, cheek, eyebrow, etc...), but I've also found this same look within recessed or protected areas on Cents as well.  

Could these areas I speak of be a result of coin on coin contact friction and not circulation wear? Or would this be considered "damage" in the form of circulation wear? Or..... does it even matter and wear is wear no matter how it occurred???  It is odd to me, for instance, how the earlobe is still unscathed.  Being one of the higher points of relief, you'd think the earlobe would also show signs of this same discoloration as that of the other areas of the coin that you can easily see if it was a result of circulation.  Thanks. 

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7335.jpg

Edited by GBrad

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's just a chemical reaction and not wear. It could be from any number of things, including someone having held the coin.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:17 PM, DWLange said:

That's just a chemical reaction and not wear. It could be from any number of things, including someone having held the coin.

Thanks DW. That being the case, sounds as though it would then be considered damage, presumptively artificial toning. I appreciate it. 

I found a W quarter a couple years ago and I had it in my pocket where my zippo lighter was. I remember over filling it a bit and fluid leaked in my pocket. It caused a chemical reaction and turned the quarter purple. 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I found a W quarter a couple years ago and I had it in my pocket where my zippo lighter was. I remember over filling it a bit and fluid leaked in my pocket. It caused a chemical reaction and turned the quarter purple. 

Well, I have to say Hoghead, that was a waste of a good quarter and at least several lights from the ol' zippo xD