• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880 One dollar
2 2

16 posts in this topic

EF condition. Cleaned. Bumps and scrapes as expected for a circulated coin. Marks' value seems correct, or possibly a bit generous.

(An "AU" coin has only a trace of wear on the highest surfaces and/or minor disruption of field luster. This coin is, therefore, not "AU" except in an imaginary world of constantly falsified condition descriptions.)

I think in the world of psychiatry the coin's unnatural look is one that exhibits flat affect. [One would have to observe signs of a wooden gait to render a conclusive diagnosis.]  😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Correct misspelling.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, RWB said:

EF condition. Cleaned. Bumps and scrapes as expected for a circulated coin. Marks' value seems correct, or possibly a bit generous.

(An "AU" coin has only a trace of wear on the highest surfaces and/or minor disruption of field luster. This coin is, therefore, not "AU" except in an imaginary world of constantly falsified condition descriptions.)

I too was surprised when Mark said AU. I still say VF20 being the 1880 S was known for crisp, clean strikes, so it takes a good amount of handling to look that worn. This one just doesn't scream XF to me.(shrug)

Maybe it is the dull appearance.

The coin in the opening post could be an XF (rather than AU) in terms of wear. But even if it is, it’s nowhere close to VF20. If you disagree, I invite you to post pictures of a graded VF 20 example that matches it.😉

Here's a VF25:

Image 1 - 1880 S San Francisco Morgan Silver Dollar VAM 1 Medium S Graded ANACS VF 25

Image 3 - 1880 S San Francisco Morgan Silver Dollar VAM 1 Medium S Graded ANACS VF 25

And here's a Photograde XF45, which has less detail than than the subject coin.

Morgan Dollar (1878-1921) XF45

Morgan Dollar (1878-1921) XF45

Edited by MarkFeld

Field luster within and immediately adjacent to inscriptions, but with high relief areas and most of the field worn, is a standard indicator of EF condition. A VF coin might (might) have a trace of luster in the most protected design areas, but usually not, plus details will be worn smooth.

RE: "I still say VF20 being the 1880 S was known for crisp, clean strikes..." The amount of detail in a typical Unc coin is not relevant to the coin's condition based on post-strike abrasion. For consistency, a "grade" only applies to things that happen after striking.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, RWB said:

Field luster within and immediately adjacent to inscriptions, but with high relief areas and most of the field worn, is a standard indicator of EF condition. A VF coin might (might) have a trace of luster in the most protected design areas, but usually not, plus details will be worn smooth.

RE: "I still say VF20 being the 1880 S was known for crisp, clean strikes..." The amount of detail in a typical Unc coin is not relevant to the coin's condition based on post-strike abrasion. For consistency, a "grade" only applies to things that happen after striking.

Your opinion, which virtually no one who counts agrees with. 

On 6/21/2022 at 3:43 PM, VKurtB said:

Your opinion, which virtually no one who counts agrees with. 

Rather bold statement. So in your opinion, who are all these people who don't agree with RWB. (besides the jury and govt prosecutors in the Langbord trial.  We all know the outcome).  I would be interested in making my own decision on whether these people "count" rather than relying solely on another persons opinion

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 6/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Rather bold statement. So in your opinion, who are all these people who don't agree with RWB. (besides the jury and govt prosecutors in the Langbord trial.  We all know the outcome).  I would be interested in making my own decision on whether these people "count" rather than relying solely on another persons opinion

[This is a perennial problem with chat boards. It is virtually impossible to weigh in without appearing to take sides. I once committed the unpardonable sin of siding with a troll; I was promptly vanquished, i.e., consigned to the Outer Limits.]

On 6/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Whenever grades are the subject, @RWB nearly always is on the VERY low side. It’s a nearly exceptionless trend. Just stand by and watch. Of course in Roger’s very warped mind, the TPGS all over grade and only he is correct.

There are four criteria used to grade coins, and degree of preservation is just ONE of the four.  And lest you think that the ANA standards say otherwise, check again. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/21/2022 at 6:07 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[This is a perennial problem with chat boards. It is virtually impossible to weigh in without appearing to take sides. I once committed the unpardonable sin of siding with a troll; I was promptly vanquished, i.e., consigned to the Outer Limits.]

...troll siding will prob make a comeback, mite even get an alphabetic identifier......could have been worse they could have consigned u to the Twilight Zone, but u could have chatted it up with Rod.....

On 6/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Oldhoopster said:

...Goldfinger likes him...

On 6/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Whenever grades are the subject, @RWB nearly always is on the VERY low side. It’s a nearly exceptionless trend. Just stand by and watch. Of course in Roger’s very warped mind, the TPGS all over grade and only he is correct.

There are four criteria used to grade coins, and degree of preservation is just ONE of the four.  And lest you think that the ANA standards say otherwise, check again. 

Your post

"Your opinion, which virtually no one who counts agrees with"

So once again, who are all these people who disagree?  I would be very interested in forming my own opinion as to whether these people "count" or not.

Everybody knows you have a beef with the other member that goes back to the Langbord 1933 double eagle trial and that ended 11 years ago.   For Pete's sake, give it a rest.