• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 morgan dollars do you think they will maintain the current value?

13 posts in this topic

im new to coin collecting and have many questions. But my first one is about the 2021 morgan dollar. I see these going for 200 to 300 bucks a pop. Do you think its worth buying one at these prices if they are ms 70. or do you think they will go down in value over time? Im here to learn so anything you can teach me is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

On 6/4/2022 at 10:50 PM, fuzzy_ said:

if they are ms 70

Okay fuzzy; probably yes.  P @ MS 70 = $250.00  - D Mint = $675.00 @ MS 70  -  CC =  $295.00 @ Ms 70  -  S = $250.00 @ MS 70  -  O + $195.00 @ MS 70.  Nationally known deal with negotiable prices.  eBay probably a bit lower.

My crystal ball has been on the fritz for years, however, I suspect that these will continue to trend down but not much further for the MS70 coins.   The exception could be the D mint coins as those are fewer in number than the others.

No. They will fluctuate as such fads always do. Do you want to trade them for Beanie Babies, or Bradford Exchange plates, or FM sterling silver bird plates?

On 6/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, RWB said:

No. They will fluctuate as such fads always do. Do you want to trade them for Beanie Babies, or Bradford Exchange plates, or FM sterling silver bird plates?

The magic bean economy seems much more stable at the moment than the others. :takeit:

I know it's supply and demand but i just dont understand why people went so crazy for them. I just bought an 1882 cc silver dollar gsa with box and c.o.a. and these new ones are almost as much as i paid for that. Maybe it's just me but i would rather have something with some history to it that was made with silver from the comstock lode rather than a new one.

Some people bought them up so they could flip for a profit, and because many did that some collectors that "had" to have one (or a set) decided to pay the inflated prices rather than wait and see.   Some collectors like to be the first on the block to show off the new, latest and greatest coin, for those collectors this was just another in a never ending line of mint products.  I personally could care less about the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, I do not own a single one nor do I expect that I ever will.  But collecting is all about personal goals and likes so it makes no difference what you or I like.   As long as those collectors who bought them are happy with the coins then it is all good.

Most new coins to market fail to be profitable investments.  Almost all new coins to market get hyped.  If you are into buying the latest coin from the Mint, I would suggest doing it because you love the coin.  If you make money, great!  If you don't, you love the coin. 

"Stacking" new coins is not recommended.  I saw an older man at a coin show who bought 250 W quarters at the peak price (raw), and brought them in to sell.  He went from dealer to dealer to try to sell them.  I heard the story at a few different tables, and I felt sorry for the man.  He viewed his purchase as, "getting-in on the ground floor" and was in for some rough conversations.  He left with his box of rolled W quarters, and I could see how upset he was.  I don't think he could sell a single coin.

Again - buy it because you like it.  Buy the amount that you can enjoy.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 6/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, fuzzy_ said:

and these new ones are almost as much as i paid for that.

The sellers, who purchased from the US Mint in droves, can set their on prices and there is nothing to convince them to do other wise.  The fact they are getting these prices today is astounding.  I bought two, 2021 P & 2021 CC:  The CC came back MS 70 and the P came back MS 69.  *

* Probably because the TPG felt sorry for me.  I wouldn't call it a 69 by any means.  A lot of coins should have been sent to melt.

Edited by Alex in PA.