• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, 1st post. What vintage holder do I have here?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hello, my first post here. 

I was looking through the 30 Year Evolution of the NGC Holder, to see which generation I have.  I don't see it.  I'm guessing maybe it is a version of the 1997 holder?  Your help is very much appreciated, thanks.

1947-S NGC-66T Obv Slab 1.jpg

Edited by JeffersonFrog

I'm not finding one that matches up with your slab, JF.  I don't want to say it's a counterfeit because that would likely be an overreaction.

But the listings here do not match up with yours.  The black lined bars are usually BELOW the number.  But they're showing holders for a Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle so maybe for small denomination coins it was different.

https://www.ngccoin.com/about/evolution-of-ngc-holder/

I'm sure Dave @ NGC or another veteran can clear it up.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, Coinbuf said:

NGC gen 8 from the work provided by Conder101 in his book.

Whats the title of his book called? Would love to read it sometime. I enjoy reading his responses on the forum. 

On 5/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Whats the title of his book called? Would love to read it sometime. I enjoy reading his responses on the forum. 

I do not have the title in front of me, however, I do not think that the book is available anywhere.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC used T for Toned and W for White around 2000-01. The marketplace seemed to be asking for such a thing at the time, yet it never really took hold and was discontinued after a few months.

This is the book in question. The copy in my library is the Second Edition from 2003. I haven't seen it for sale in at least 15 years, though I suppose it may turn up online from time to time.

Slab Book.jpg

On 5/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, DWLange said:

though I suppose it may turn up online from time to time.

Biblio.com has it for sale - $350.00 + $4.50 shipping to USA.

Also RobertsBookshop.com - same price.

Maybe Condor101 will drop by.  

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Yes, you have an NGC 8. As mentioned in Conder's post, these slabs were only used for about 4 weeks. They are pretty uncommon. 

Did Conder post ?  I don't see it.  

4 weeks is super-short to utilize a new holder design...very surprising.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Yes, you have an NGC 8. As mentioned in Conder's post, these slabs were only used for about 4 weeks. They are pretty uncommon. 

Thats pretty neat they were used for such a short time. I have one of my Washington quarters in the same type slab. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I seem to recall the W and T labels lasting longer than four weeks, though I don't remember whether it spanned more than one holder type.

On 5/24/2022 at 4:29 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Did Conder post ?  I don't see it.  

4 weeks is super-short to utilize a new holder design...very surprising.

Yes, read Conder's post that Just Bob posted. The NGC 8 was a very short-lived slab. 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, DWLange said:

I seem to recall the W and T labels lasting longer than four weeks, though I don't remember whether it spanned more than one holder type.

Yes, from my recollection the W and T was used on multiple slab types. NGC 8 features the very small numbers below the barcode - which was only used for a very short period. 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Biblio.com has it for sale - $350.00 + $4.50 shipping to USA.

Also RobertsBookshop.com - same price.

Because it's the same book.  On Biblo it identifies the seller as Robertsbookshop.com.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:10 PM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

I seem to remember PCI using at the time as well

True. They also used PQ on the label.