• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Roger Burdette in regards to a 1927 special strike Buffalo Nickel.
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I think Mark is one the right track. However, several places assign provenance to John Sinnock's possessions, but cite no sources. There were several coin collectors among US Mint officers. The one with the most inclusive collection of internal experimental and sandblast proof pieces was Frederick H. Chaffin. He died in June 1936. His coins, which were kept in his personal locker at the Philadelphia Mint, were sold to a coin dealer in NYC. Among the coins were proof peace dollars, sandblast commemorative halves and possibly other pieces made for internal US Mint use. (See Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 for further information.)

On 5/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, Woods020 said:

That always adds to the mystery when they are found dispersed in the wild versus held by one estate. So this wasn’t a mint employee’s personal stash. 

it is also odd to me that they were found in various places but they all graded a 65. That seems really odd. 

I believe they were originally graded when there was only MS65 and theoretically, MS70. They were graded quite early. 

On 5/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, RWB said:

I think Mark is one the right track. However, several places assign provenance to John Sinnock's possessions, but cite no sources. There were several coin collectors among US Mint officers. The one with the most inclusive collection of internal experimental and sandblast proof pieces was Frederick H. Chaffin. He died in June 1936. His coins, which were kept in his personal locker at the Philadelphia Mint, were sold to a coin dealer in NYC. Among the coins were proof peace dollars, sandblast commemorative halves and possibly other pieces made for internal US Mint use. (See Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 for further information.)

Given the history of insiders at the Mint, I’m inclined to believe the John Sinnock provenance. I need to keep my American Cynic membership active. 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, VKurtB said:

I believe they were originally graded when there was only MS65 and theoretically, MS70. They were graded quite early. 

That wasn't the case. NGC and PCGS were using grades in between 65 and 70 at the time the 1927 nickels appeared. 

Edited by MarkFeld

On 5/15/2022 at 11:01 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Absolutely worthless comment on the value of documentation. 

You know better than to post stuff like this, unless you're just trying to denigrate other members.  Comparing these coins to the 64 SMS is apples to oranges, and if you don't know that, then I've been giving you too much credit as a numismatist.

Everybody knows that you have don't like the way Roger does research.  However you seem to be in the minority.  Research adds to the body of knowledge. Good research helps everyone and bad research eventually gets weeded out (i.e. some of Brown's contributions).  

If you're want to add to this thread, great.  But if you just want to take pot shots at another member, you're just wasting bandwidth.

Respectfully, I dissent, and do so politely. The comment alluded to is not worthless. On the contrary it is priceless. I have long maintained some members enjoy unconditional immunity. This is documentary proof. The extraordinary dynamic illustrated here is without parallel. There is no ill-will here, no bad blood. We all have ways of expressing ourselves. I myself had to weather the initiation rites. No one knows this better than stoic RWB. Good natured ribbing is all it is. No offense given; none taken. I believe I speak for all members on this. We are all friends.That's enough bandwidth. Carry on, gentlemen.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

........... I have long maintained some members enjoy unconditional immunity. ............

NOBODY should enjoy unconditional immunity.  You are only as good as the content of your posts.  If you disagree, speak up.  Post your references to support your point.  If you have documentation and/or data others can make an informed decision to agree or disagree.  

I agree with a lot of what V. Kurt says and respect what he's given back to the hobby, but I have no problem calling him out if I disagree and feel I can support my opinion.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:06 PM, Oldhoopster said:

NOBODY should enjoy unconditional immunity.  You are only as good as the content of your posts.  If you disagree, speak up.  Post your references to support your point.  If you have documentation and/or data others can make an informed decision to agree or disagree.  

I agree with a lot of what V. Kurt says and respect what he's given back to the hobby, but I have no problem calling him out if I disagree and feel I can support my opinion.

That’s why I respect you, ‘Hoop. It’s also why I enjoy Quintus. But he’s on “double secret probation” and is being watched like a hawk. 
BE376664-1FA5-4647-AA54-A7D3F9ED00F6.jpeg.86bdff7fef4fd41e8eae27d0008ddf4c.jpeg
So, whadya say? If I decide to publish American Cynic magazine, can I count on your subscription?

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The late Walter Been worked for years on a book manuscript titled The Cynic's Dictionary, but it never was published.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, VKurtB said:

That’s why I respect you, ‘Hoop. It’s also why I enjoy Quintus. But he’s on “double secret probation” and is being watched like a hawk. 
BE376664-1FA5-4647-AA54-A7D3F9ED00F6.jpeg.86bdff7fef4fd41e8eae27d0008ddf4c.jpeg
So, whadya say? If I decide to publish American Cynic magazine, can I count on your subscription?

...Diogenes n Antisthenes would applaud u but they would have to pay in drachmae......