• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver proof quarters from 2000 up to 2021.

14 posts in this topic

My LCS also has tube of silver proof quarters for $235. I looked at a couple of them and and they were proofs from sets and in mint condition. I saw a couple of 2019's and some 2017's. He didn't want me to pull them all out, because they're proofs and he doesn't want them to get scratched up. Is that too high of a price for silver proof quarters?

Thanks

Edited by investinrehabs

So that means he spent $32 x 25 or $800 and hoping to get $500 back in Kennedy’s and quarters, so if he manages to sell the nickels, dimes, and Sacagawea coins for more than $300 he will break even. Who pays the shipping?

I would avoid this guy.

Hoghead, actually, the coin shop is very well respected within the community. They typically have very good prices and I truly think he didn't want me to damage the coins by taking them all out.  I bought new generic silver rounds yesterday for $27 each. I think that's a fair price. But I do appreciate your response.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:48 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

So that means he spent $32 x 25 or $800 and hoping to get $500 back in Kennedy’s and quarters, so if he manages to sell the nickels, dimes, and Sacagawea coins for more than $300 he will break even. Who pays the shipping?

I would avoid this guy.

I'm curious where you came up with your numbers, I very much doubt that his local B&M dealer paid $32 a coin.   Also a tube of quarters holds 40 quarters, 20 for all the half dollar tubes that I have seen.   And lastly this is a B&M shop he is talking about so shipping does not apply.

Edited by Coinbuf

Quarter and half dollar rolls hold $10 face -- 40 and 20 coins respectively.

Nickel rolls are $2 - 40 nickels and cent rolls are $0.50 - 50 coins.

Large dollar rolls are $20 face - 20 coins and small dollar rolls are $25 - 25 coins.

There's no way he paid $32 a coin. He took all of the coins out of the proof sets they had and are selling them separately. The Kennedy tube had 20 coins in it and the quarter tube had 25 in them. The  coin shop I'm dealing with, probably has at least 300 or 400 proof sets. He opened up the safe and I never saw more proof sets in my life! Plus, he probably has at 100 sets out on display. 

Edited by investinrehabs

On 4/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, investinrehabs said:

There's no way he paid $32 a coin. He took all of the coins out of the proof sets they had and are selling them separately. The Kennedy tube had 20 coins in it and the quarter tube had 25 in them. The  coin shop I'm dealing with, probably has at least 300 or 400 proof sets. He opened up the safe and I never saw more proof sets in my life! Plus, he probably has at 100 sets out on display. 

25 is not a standard quarter roll, 40 is. 

Legitimate tubes or rolls of quarters hold 40 coins, not 25. Is he using small dollar tubes to mislead people?

On 4/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, investinrehabs said:

Hoghead, actually, the coin shop is very well respected within the community. They typically have very good prices and I truly think he didn't want me to damage the coins by taking them all out.  I bought new generic silver rounds yesterday for $27 each. I think that's a fair price. But I do appreciate your response.

If I was going to sell the coins for someone to make a collection with I would let them examine them. If someone wouldnt let me look at them then theres no way I would buy them. Thats not how its supposed to work. I would avoid buying coins off someone if they wouldnt let me take them out of the roll to look at them. If they were that worried about damaging them then they shouldnt have put them in tubes to begin with. Never buy a collection worthy coin without looking at it first. If they are mixed in tubes then they already cherry picked the good ones out and put the low grades in the tube after breaking apart proof sets.