• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1894 O Morgan worth grading

14 posts in this topic

I have some coins from an estate sale and I am not sure about grading them or even using the conservation service. Is this coin worth grading and utilizing the conservation service.  The toning looks suspect to me however I am not that experienced.  That is why I was looking at using the conservation service.  Thank you for your input.

IMG-2629.jpg

IMG-2628.jpg

Yeah, that one looks natural to me. People do obscene things to coins in order to inflict artificial toning, but what collectors prize above all is a natural and uncleaned look, so definitely DFWI. As for grading this one, the big question is whether it is uncirculated. While the obverse has flat spots on high points, that doesn't mean those are wear. Sometimes they are strike weakness. The reason I would wonder about that is that if there is ever any wear on a Morgan, it shows up real fast on the eagle's breast. This eagle might not have any wear at all (kind of hard to tell). If it is uncirculated, and might grade 63+, there is a possibility it's worth sending in. I would try and get a consensus on that subject, because the value jump between AU-58 (probably the lowest grade it could get) and MS-64 is substantial, at least according to my most recent Coin Values.

Mid 90’s New Orleans was prone to weak strikes. By the turn of the century they were awesomely well struck. 

Field disturbance on both sides suggests AU.... but I seldom agree with TPGs on this kind of thing -- they like to call 'em "MS-63."

I'm not that sure that conservation would have a positive outcome on this coin, however unlike others I'm not sure about how original this tone is, do you have/know any background info on this coin.   Where it has been and how it has been stored in past years could shed some light on the question of if the toning is original or not.   Usually that much toning of a color like this on one side would also have some tone imparted on the rev too.

As to grade it should not grade higher than AU58, to answer the question of to grade/slab or not it would be useful to know what you desire to do with the coin.   If you are planning to keep the coin I would just get a nice kointane type holder for a $1 and enjoy the coin, however if your goal is to sell the coin then having it graded and authenticated may indeed but helpful in getting the full value when selling.   Assuming of course that the toing is deemed legit.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not that sure that conservation would have a positive outcome on this coin, however unlike others I'm not sure about how original this tone is, do you have/know any background info on this coin.   Where it has been and how it has been stored in past years could shed some light on the question of if the toning is original or not.   Usually that much toning of a color like this on one side would also have some tone imparted on the rev too.

As to grade it should not grade higher than AU58, to answer the question of to grade/slab or not it would be useful to know what you desire to do with the coin.   If you are planning to keep the coin I would just get a nice kointane type holder for a $1 and enjoy the coin, however if your goal is to sell the coin then having it graded and authenticated may indeed but helpful in getting the full value when selling.   Assuming of course that the toing is deemed legit.

I can see this toning as the result of VERY long time spent in a Whitman folder, or even a coin board. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/19/2022 at 9:00 AM, VKurtB said:

I can see this toning as the result of VERY long time spent in a Whitman folder, or even a coin board. 

Perhaps, however very often you will see at least some color in the toning from a board or folder.   This monotone brown has the look of storage in a leather pouch or even possibly having been smoked, which is why I asked if the op has any information on how and where the coin has been in the past.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, Coinbuf said:

Perhaps, however very often you will see at least some color in the toning from a board or folder.   This monotone brown has the look of storage in a leather pouch or even possibly having been smoked, which is why I asked if the op has any information on how and where the coin has been in the past.

I might want to give it an acetone bath, which won’t touch any toning due to silver sulfides, but may reveal coloration due to organics. 

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.  Someone asked if I had any information on its background and I do not, since I purchased it from an estate sale. Hopefully the toning is authentic.  I am going to send it in for conservation and grading.  I do not have much to lose in this situation.  Thank you everyone for you feedback in this situation.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:27 AM, Spartan123 said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.  Someone asked if I had any information on its background and I do not, since I purchased it from an estate sale. Hopefully the toning is authentic.  I am going to send it in for conservation and grading.  I do not have much to lose in this situation.  Thank you everyone for you feedback in this situation.

I don’t know that conservation is needed on this coin. As long as the toning is legit I wouldn’t touch it. 

On 4/22/2022 at 5:27 AM, Spartan123 said:

You don’t need to ask for conservation in many cases. It the coin will benefit from it, NGC will suggest it to you. I am very sure that “conservation” is a vastly overused service. I have only ever had one coin conserved by NGC, and they’re the ones that suggested it.