• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Wynn

10 posts in this topic

hello all collectors...I just joined and was told to post here...I have several coins that I think are interesting and I will post some photos.  I have done some research on the internet and know that some of these have some value...I have never had an appraisal done before and welcome any information you may have...I will post a photo of a 1944 Lincoln Penny that has a strange H stamped on both sides of the coin...it only weighs 290 grams or so...I have a total of 6 1944 pennies...I am also posting a couple of nickels in the 1965/66 era and a 1964D (I have 6 of these) and a 1972 Kennedy half dollar that has a strange hairline crack on the reverse that I have never seen before...I have two others that are fine and one 1971 version also....I would appreciate any thoughts you may have about these....thanks in advance, Bill W

DSC06538.jpg

DSC06539.jpg

DSC06491.jpg

DSC06492.jpg

DSC06521.jpg

DSC06522.jpg

DSC06523.jpg

DSC06525.jpg

DSC06526.jpg

DSC06541.jpg

DSC06544.jpg

thanks Fenntucky Mike...I never heard of a counter stamp....if that's what this is, it's the first one I have ever seen....I will take your advice on posting one coin at a time

Counter stamped coins are neat finds, they do not have much value but there are a few collectors that do collect them.   If you can find one of those collectors who collect counter stamped coins that Lincoln cent might be worth a buck or two.   The half with the die crack is interesting and it sure looks like that die was just about to fall apart.   Again there are a very small number of collectors that might be willing to offer up a buck for something like this.   From the photos the nickels and the 1971 half all look like average circulated coins, none has a value over the face value but all could be nice coins to start a circulated set and placed into an album or folder.   Thanks for sharing these with us.  :)

Coins have been counterstamped over the years for a number of reasons, from using them as identifiers, to advertisement, to just fooling around with a letter punch. They are not mint errors, since they were done after the coins left the mint. They are interesting, but not usually valuable, unless listed in a reference book. There are counterstamp collectors, but the ones that are sought after are usually the ones that have complete names on them. 

On the '72 half dollar, does the line look raised, or is it more like a cut or crack in the coin itself?

Hi Just Bob....thanks for the information....the 72 half dollar definitely has a very fine hairline crack going across the entire reverse and you can see where the top part of the coin is not perfectly aligned...Bill W

On 4/17/2022 at 11:18 AM, Bill Wynn said:

Hi Just Bob....thanks for the information....the 72 half dollar definitely has a very fine hairline crack going across the entire reverse and you can see where the top part of the coin is not perfectly aligned...Bill W

If it is an actual crack, then odds are it was not struck by a cracked die - the line would be raised - but could be a planchet flaw. ( "Planchet" is the name for the coin blank before the design is struck on it.) I think I would take that one to a knowledgeable coin dealer and have them look at it under magnification. 

On 4/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks again Bob....how can I find a reputable dealer? I live in Kissimmee, Fl? is there a directory on the internet?

NGC has a dealer locator. I entered "Kissimmee," and found this:

Click here

OK - that did not work. The link goes to the locator page, but you will have to fill in the name yourself.

Edited by Just Bob