• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2003 P Jefferson Nickel - Penny Planchet

6 posts in this topic

We found a 2003-P Jefferson nickel that appears to be stamped on a penny planchet. We looked online and can’t find much about it. I did read that in 2003 changes were being made to the nickel to get ready for the 2004/2005 nickels. Is anyone familiar with this 2003 error nickel we found? Or know anything about it? Thank u

08000E4F-1D2D-4377-B2AB-C606C838E2DE.jpeg

89C89BFD-4C16-4A49-B688-E4C5125A7006.jpeg

C4125BE8-ACC8-4AC3-A6F0-0065313919A7.jpeg

Weigh it. A penny planchet weighs far less than a nickel planchet. Odds are you are mainly going by the color, which has many likelier explanations than an incorrect planchet. Another notable piece of evidence is that all the detail seems to have been struck onto the coin, which with a nickel die striking a Zincoln planchet doesn't seem very likely to me as the Zincoln planchet is much smaller and thinner. If it were theoretically able to be smashed flat enough to accommodate nickel detail, I'm not sure what would happen to it, but I suspect it'd be about the thickness of a dime.