• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I find Ben Franklin collectors?

13 posts in this topic

I'm a Ben Franklin enthusiast. 

I have all the Franklin half varieties, (ngc graded), which for me is not a big deal. 

Have put a lot more time and money into amassing a collection of Greenslet cataloged medals....

The vast majority of my collection is not graded, although I have found a  few nice NGC verified pieces in high grades. 

Where's s good place to find other Franklin philes?

FB_IMG_1649907145021.jpg

20211231_000129.jpg

Edited by Richamiller
Didn't finish

Ben Franklin collectors are likely found outside, flying kites, or in the Grand Salon surrounded by beautiful French ladies. Also, look for people wearing beaver-skin hats. :)

No fair. You can't start a thread like this and only post one side of three medals. You have to post lots of pictures. Let's see 'em....

You have a very impressive collection. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed looking at them. I agree with Just Bob on the Caque. I love the high relief and the antique looking finish. Its a very clean looking medal also. Inspires me to want to look more into metals. I really like Franklin but Im really into George Washington also. Im working on a full set of silver business strike quarters. Im over half way of completing my goal. Would also like to expand into GW medals also. Ive got the 1982 GW 50 cent medal so far but id like to look into others also. 

I'm going to guess you probably already go to some of your local coins but if not try Coin Shows USA to see what's around in your area.  I go to several local shows in my area and there are collectors and vendors there with various coins types and then also some that lean heavily toward a preference they have.    

https://www.coinshows-usa.com/

A Franklin medal by John Sinnock was a favorite of director Ross, and that's why the same portrait - nearly bald - ended up on the half dollar in 1948. She had also proposed it for a planned 1942 half-dime or 3-cent coin.

[See Roger W Burdette “The 1942 Half-Dime,” Coin World. 2003.]

Edited by RWB

Yes - I have the 3" medal from 1932.

.Have twice missed out on the Assay medal that uses the same image. 

(1938, I believe)  

Sinnock never got to see his engraving on the 50C piece.  He died in 1947.  

Humorous story ---- Sinnock originally just used his initials "JS"  

However - a good portion of the USA thought the initials stood for Joseph Stalin --- so Sinnock's 3 initials were used to calm the masses.  

Interesting thing ---- there's 150 million FEWER Franklin Halves than there are Morgan Dollars.  

As far as I'm concerned, there's huge opportunities for the Franklin Half to go up in collectability. 

Edited by Richamiller