• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880 CC Morgan Newbie question

10 posts in this topic

I am starting to add my coins to the registry and when I used auto build for the CC set. My PCGS 1880CC #9169130 was approved  to 1880 Rev 1879. How could they tell without seeing coin ? I actually didn't know there was 2 slots for each year of 1879 and 1880. How do you know how many slots will be in a certain set or can you request adjustments to number slots. Please excuse my learning curve LOL :) and sorry for poor photos - I need a new phone !

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

We've seen worse photos by far, though cropping would help the cause. Nice coin, looks natural to me. (I don't know caca about registries or Morgan varieties, but I at least wanted to tell you I liked the piece.)

On 4/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, ldhall said:

I am starting to add my coins to the registry and when I used auto build for the CC set. My PCGS 1880CC #9169130 was approved  to 1880 Rev 1879. How could they tell without seeing coin ? I actually didn't know there was 2 slots for each year of 1879 and 1880. How do you know how many slots will be in a certain set or can you request adjustments to number slots. Please excuse my learning curve LOL :) and sorry for poor photos - I need a new phone !

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

Browse the registry. You can review the complete Morgan set. If you are interested, there is also a nice Morgan CC GSA set. The GSA CC’s have a large following. Yours in not GSA, but I thought I’d steer you in that direction as well.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, ldhall said:

Thanx all :) I really apprciate the advice but how did they know which reverse it was without seeing coin ; when you put cert # in PCGS it does not have a picture nor does it identify the reverse ??

The number in front of the cert# is the PCGS catalogue or database number that identifies this as the 79 rev, the 78 rev has a different number.   I agree that it would be nice if that information would be displayed on the cert verification page.

Just so you know reverse of 79 is the normal reverse, which is why it wasn’t listed on the label. Some coins were struck with an older reverse die, which had the 78 reverse. You will see many coins listed with reverse of in the early years. Here is a good pic of the differences between the two reverses. Most people note the Eagles breast as the diagnostic. 

image.thumb.jpeg.40133caf96e33c43ce88adddc2d6d9df.jpeg

Oh boy here we go!!  the 1880 CC is a year with multiple variites. I have been working on getting one of each for a while now and i have to tell ya getting them all in a matched set has been pretty taxing.(tis the season) yes they are readily available and good ones are out there.  so here is the rundown if you want to collect this year by varieites (Just the CC's) first you have the straight up 80 - CC,  then you have the 80/79 - CC with the reverse of 78, Then we have a couple other varieties with the 8/7 with the position of the 7 high in the date.  then you have the 8/7 low with the tail of the 7 coming out of the bnottom of the 8,  then we have the 8/7 reverse of 78.  with the 78 reverse having the eagles with flat chest feathers  and the reverses of 79 with the rounded chest.  now that gets the CC's out of the way there are atleast 4 or 5 of the 80 Philiy Mopgan varieities with another 2 or 3 varieties from NOLA  then if you want to get really crazy you can start collectiong them in the GSA holders.  these can set ya back a bit so .....have fun with this year!  i have.and still working on them.