• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS Republic/Shipwreck Coins

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Looking into buying an SS Republic Coin. However, no pricing guide is available. 

I know a lot of the time with Shipwreck Coins, NGC wont put a numerical value on the grade so I'm having a hard time getting a pricing guide to see if I'm paying too much. Coin appears to be in good shape but i cant get any idea of the value of the coin.  

Wonder if there's anyone on here who have purchased these coins in the past or currently have a similar coin and see if they could tell me a range of what I should be looking at? Or if I should bother with a Shipwreck coin at all.

Thanks

Coin 2.JPG

Coin 1.JPG

Howdy. I was told to learn about any coin I bought. You have begun that step. I’m wondering if maybe you should study collecting in general and wait before jumping into a kinda specific and difficult type. 

I was also told that if there’s more than one then what’s the hurry. Not talking ase’s or proof sets. Some serious money can be involved. 
   Enjoy your hobby and buy what you like. Good luck and remember study study study 😉🙀🦫

ps.    That thing looks harshly cleaned 

86647C2F-772C-42FD-BDE4-8C385F0BBC09.png

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 4/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Howdy. I was told to learn about any coin I bought. You have begun that step. I’m wondering if maybe you should study collecting in general and wait before jumping into a kinda specific and difficult type. 

I was also told that if there’s more than one then what’s the hurry. Not talking ase’s or proof sets. Some serious money can be involved. 
   Enjoy your hobby and buy what you like. Good luck and remember study study study 😉🙀🦫

ps.    That thing looks harshly cleaned 

86647C2F-772C-42FD-BDE4-8C385F0BBC09.png

Thanks James.

I mean i know the history of the shipwreck and I'd like to own a piece of that history I just wasnt sure about the value of this particular coin. I've been trying to upgrade my collection recently after making the mistake of buying a few "Details" coins. But to my understanding, all shipwreck coins aren't graded like most coins (MS,AU,XF Etc.) 

Most are being sold at the mid 300's at this time but dont really know if that's the actual value right now or if it's an inflated market by a couple of guys. 

Well the coin market is seldom inflated by a "couple" of guys, PM's yes sometimes.  Second it would help if you can provide the letter that NGC gave this specific coin, NGC used a letter (A,B,C) to describe the level of damage done by the sea water.   A designated coins had the least damage and therefore are more desired and will likely cost more.

I own a couple SS Republic coins.  Most, graded by NGC, are labeled 'Shipwreck Effect' meaning they were in the ocean a while.  As Coinbuf said:  What's the letter"?

i.e.:  1861-O S.S. Republic W-04A

Edited by Alex in PA.

Price will also depend on 1.  Confederate States Issue or 2.  Louisiana Issue or 3.  United States Issue.  The Confederates often go high and Louisiana Issue about $500.00 to $700.00.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:28 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well the coin market is seldom inflated by a "couple" of guys, PM's yes sometimes.  Second it would help if you can provide the letter that NGC gave this specific coin, NGC used a letter (A,B,C) to describe the level of damage done by the sea water.   A designated coins had the least damage and therefore are more desired and will likely cost more.

So this particular one is graded "Shipwreck Effect".

No A,B,C, United States issue, No Confederate States Issue, No Louisiana Issue. 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Price will also depend on 1.  Confederate States Issue or 2.  Louisiana Issue or 3.  United States Issue.  The Confederates often go high and Louisiana Issue about $500.00 to $700.00.

This particular one is graded "Shipwreck Effect".

No A,B,C, United States issue, No Confederate States Issue, No Louisiana Issue. 

On 4/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, Coinbuf said:

All the labels I have seen in the past have had the letter on it, does it not look like this?   Note the B in Parenthesis after the shipreck effect portion of the label

ss.jpg

No. Only has shipwreck effect. Maybe it’s the equivalent of a details coin? 

9A1DE7F7-9315-4AAD-B57B-CFC5EBBD5585.jpeg

My best guess on value with the info so far is $300 to $400, I have seen higher values for some of the 1859-O halves depending on quality or any variety.   Just my opinion I would look for a better example as I do not like that heavy dig under the eagle's right wing, and the scratches across the shield and under the MM.   But that is just my opinion and those may not bother anyone else at all.

On 4/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, SirDubre said:

Hi all, Looking into buying an SS Republic Coin. However, no pricing guide is available.

Always check recent (last few weeks, last few months) actual auction prices:  Heritage, Great Collections, StacksBowers, Ebay.