• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957-D penny Doubled Ear
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I think I possibly found a double ear. I could be wrong, but sure looks like one. Any suggestions on this coin if maybe a die crack or something I'm not seeing. Interesting and pretty cool to find this. Thanks Joe 

20220408_151229.jpg

20220408_151323.jpg

20220408_151419.jpg

On 4/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do not see what you are seeing.

It's the earlobe at the bottom. It's probably just a die crack going around the earlobe. But also looks like doubling. Like I said I might be wrong. 

On 4/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, Hinkle said:

I think I possibly found a double ear. I could be wrong, but sure looks like one. Any suggestions on this coin if maybe a die crack or something I'm not seeing. Interesting and pretty cool to find this. Thanks Joe 

20220408_151229.jpg

20220408_151323.jpg

20220408_151419.jpg

Holy antlers, Batman, it’s a double deer!

On 4/9/2022 at 7:23 PM, Woods020 said:

Is this what you are calling a doubled ear?

8A633040-A4EB-40AC-B45D-7217CE0120BC.jpeg

Yeah, I opened 2 rolls of 57s and that one stood out. Don't know if it's a die crack or doubling. Couldn't find another one like it. Still trying to research but not really coming up with anything. It might be die deterioration or somewhat pushed over to the right. Idk, don't want to give up on this one, but I'm running into dead ends. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, Hinkle said:

Yeah, I opened 2 rolls of 57s and that one stood out. Don't know if it's a die crack or doubling. Couldn't find another one like it. Still trying to research but not really coming up with anything. It might be die deterioration or somewhat pushed over to the right. Idk, don't want to give up on this one, but I'm running into dead ends. 

Some anomaly on the die. Not sure if it is a crack or polishing mark but it certainly isn’t doubling. 

It could also be a slight touch-up from an engraving tool -- done to strengthen the ear. (Compare to similar but bolder touch-up on 1936-42 proofs, Pilgrim halves, etc.)