• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTT :Trade my NGC 2.0 with highest graded CC Morgan for your Modern Private Mint Gold (Lots of Pics)

21 posts in this topic

I have this up for trade...

1882-CC MS64 Morgan in NGC 2.0 Holder

According to the census of these Slabs here -> [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KEKnwVcG4ncg5KV9EskFRot-TuYOYmYJTIQhRycr-4M/edit#gid=1] This one is but a handful of CC Morgans graded late 1987 and actually the highest graded one.

I've had it for about ten years, and have never sent it to CAC so this still has the potential to go Green or Gold if you decide to go that route.

I want to trade it for 2.5oz of Private Minted Gold... something like

this Modern Slug

or a Fantasy Half Union

or A Kellogg Restrike (pantograph) in Proof or BU (actually 2.42oz AGW)

or A Daniel Carr 2.5oz Octagon

Let me know how badly you want this coin, by making me an offer.

I normally post on the PCGS forums and have a ton of references there if needed.
Thanks and Good Luck!!

NGC 2.0 CC Morgan.png

NGC 2.5oz SLUG.png

Proof Kellogg $50.png

I would not be willing to give 2.5 ounces of gold by any means, but if you want to simply sell the coin shoot me a message with your price. I know some slab collectors who would like to have it. But again it won’t be 2.5 ounces of gold money. 

On 4/9/2022 at 10:22 PM, Thirteenth said:

Do you feel it may be worth 2oz of gold?

I do not. Id make you a very fair offer, but the slab only goes so far. 

2.0 holders are quite rare these days and the prices on coins in these have been moving up sharply in fact recently a CAC gold bean 1881-S recently sold on Heritage for around 5K, however I do not remember right off it that was a 2.0 or 2.1.   the current census for known 2.0 holders is at 197 last I checked and 2.1 holders at 205, however in my experience the 2.1 holder is harder to find.

There are a few 2.0 and 2.1 holders listed on ebay right now, the most expensive one I have seen recently I have on my watch list which is an 1885 O MS64PL CAC listed at $4K and at that price I suspect it will be there for a very long time.

To the OP, if you had a less common date CC, with a gold CAC bean your ask would be much more in line with the market, I would say that your coin is worth closer to $1K in value.

Thanks coinbuff 

I personally believe that 1K valuation is a bit light all things considered (and the fact that I have multiple private offers higher).

I have noticed the prices increasing on these including two common date 65s (with green stickers) selling at GC for 2.6k and 2.8K a week or two ago.  I wasn’t aware of the 1881-S bringing 5k but that is also a very common date…

Woods020 , thanks for your continued interest… 

On 4/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Thirteenth said:

Thanks coinbuff 

I personally believe that 1K valuation is a bit light all things considered (and the fact that I have multiple private offers higher).

I have noticed the prices increasing on these including two common date 65s (with green stickers) selling at GC for 2.6k and 2.8K a week or two ago.  I wasn’t aware of the 1881-S bringing 5k but that is also a very common date…

Woods020 , thanks for your continued interest… 

Gold bean stuff is crazy right now. People are paying three or four grades up for those. It’s insane. Your coin is unquestionably worth a premium, and you should get it. The question is how much. You may have to send it to auction and see how it goes. My offer would be about what Coinbuf said. 

On 4/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, tigerbait said:

What is it, that you are collecting?  Holders?  

In this niche area of collecting yes it is more about the holder than the coin, NGC gen1, gen 2 and gen2.1 are hot and the prices have been climbing on these.   The same can be said for the PCGS OGH and some of the rattlers, especially the ones that have cert numbers starting with 108.   There is a small but active group of collectors (myself included) who find enjoyment in the collection of such items, really no different that those who collect (and pay crazy prices) for damaged coins (now known as errors) or the insane premiums some are willing to pay for color, it is an upside down market in many ways.

@Thirteenth , you may be correct as I stopped chasing these due to the prices which I think are over inflated and frankly out of my comfort range.   But I do hope you get as much as possible for it, that is a good sign for myself and all the old holders I own. :)

@Coinbuf, no worries.  I can certainly appreciate whatever interest that anyone can have.  Is there any resource of information, that you could recommend?

On 4/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, tigerbait said:

@Coinbuf, no worries.  I can certainly appreciate whatever interest that anyone can have.  Is there any resource of information, that you could recommend?

It is really just following the market and watching the auction sites, however here is a link to a spreadsheet that was put together and is maintained by a member on the PCGS forum.   It is a census of the three earliest NGC slab generations, not totally complete as we know there are still some old holders that are as of yet undiscovered in some of the old time collections.   Much like the pop reports this data gives some clues to the true pop.

NGC census

On 4/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, Coinbuf said:

In this niche area of collecting yes it is more about the holder than the coin, NGC gen1, gen 2 and gen2.1 are hot and the prices have been climbing on these.   The same can be said for the PCGS OGH and some of the rattlers, especially the ones that have cert numbers starting with 108.   There is a small but active group of collectors (myself included) who find enjoyment in the collection of such items, really no different that those who collect (and pay crazy prices) for damaged coins (now known as errors) or the insane premiums some are willing to pay for color, it is an upside down market in many ways.

Yeah... That's a bit too niche for me. I can kind of see it to an extent, I do think things like that could be interesting, and I even sometimes could see paying a *little* extra for something like that... But the coin is ultimately where it's at for me, and I don't think I'd pay much more than maybe 10%-20% over the going rate for the coin for the novelty of that. I would really struggle to pay 3 or 4 or 5 times the going rate for the coin just because of the holder. The fact that there are people who will just says to me that there's way too much speculation and way too much money sloshing around looking for something to do.

I say that, knowing that I've said a lot about my set of 10G coins having mostly been in the older gen holders when I got them and mostly with older 195/196 serial numbers that were issued around 1993, but that was more about the shared history of the coins and the story of the set, not the holders - which I made pretty clear when I sent them all in to be re-holdered into scratch resistant holders last year so they'd all be pretty and match with each other. lol 

Great activity in the thread everyone!

I knew nothing about this holder when I first picked it up a decade or so ago, but seeing the current interest , I am ready to part with it to someone that can appreciate it more and possibly within a very specialized set or collection.

Sure I am trying to maximize my potential here,  it I’m flexible to a certain extent before I put this back In The vault or finally decide to send it to CAC in search of the elusive Gold Bean. Call me crazy but I think this coin, gold beaned, in the right auction setting becomes a 5 figure coin… wishful thinking maybe, but we’ve got common date 2.0/2.1s with green sticker going for 5k plus already.

Coinbuf, I posted a link to the “unofficial” census for these slabs in the OP , that’s where I draw my statement about the coin being the highest graded Morgan of that slab series.

@Revenant I can understand where you are coming from, and that’s why this slab is being offered now, 

thanks for the reply’s everyone

On 4/12/2022 at 10:26 AM, Thirteenth said:

Great activity in the thread everyone!

I knew nothing about this holder when I first picked it up a decade or so ago, but seeing the current interest , I am ready to part with it to someone that can appreciate it more and possibly within a very specialized set or collection.

Sure I am trying to maximize my potential here,  it I’m flexible to a certain extent before I put this back In The vault or finally decide to send it to CAC in search of the elusive Gold Bean. Call me crazy but I think this coin, gold beaned, in the right auction setting becomes a 5 figure coin… wishful thinking maybe, but we’ve got common date 2.0/2.1s with green sticker going for 5k plus already.

Coinbuf, I posted a link to the “unofficial” census for these slabs in the OP , that’s where I draw my statement about the coin being the highest graded Morgan of that slab series.

@Revenant I can understand where you are coming from, and that’s why this slab is being offered now, 

thanks for the reply’s everyone

If it gold cac’d it’s a totally different conversation. The pics aren’t great but based on what I can see I do not see this one gold cac’ing. Just too much little stuff on the face and neck to hit solid 65 in my opinion. 

It probably would green CAC. I have noticed CAC puts a lot of emphasis on strength of strike, and it appears this one is pretty good. Just my own observation but I rarely see a Morgan with weakness in the hair by the face CAC. 

I would stand tall at $1250 and take a gamble on it if you want. That’s honestly as high as I can go and I’m nervous at that. But if nothing else it’s a neat coin to look at periodically so that’s worth something. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, Woods020 said:

If it gold cac’d it’s a totally different conversation. The pics aren’t great but based on what I can see I do not see this one gold cac’ing. Just too much little stuff on the face and neck to hit solid 65 in my opinion. 

I was going to post the same.  I feel the coin is likely accurately graded, even for todays standards.   Just my non-biased opinion.     The old slabs don't do anything for me.  I'd rather have one like this in the latest slab because they're just better to me.    But I am aware that there are a segment of collectors that collect these and assign more value to it for that reason.   I respect that too.     

On a side note, we're seeing more and more NGC and PCGS slabs posted these days that have been opened, original coin replaced with fake and a new, fake label printed of an actual label from the database stuck into the now tampered with slab.   These slabs and labels would have to be the easiest for fraudsters to duplicate nowadays having very little diagnostics to protect them other than knowing what the real coin looks like.  Which these old ones will not have pics in the database.    Just food for thought.

Edited by Vess1

Just to close this one out.

After the Initial post I reached out to a collector of American Rarities, who agreed to pay me $2500 for the coin.

They send it to CAC where it received a Green sticker , meaning it is accurately graded and on the upper end of the MS64s out there.

Thanks to everyone that expressed interest.  I'm glad the coin went to someone who can appreciate not only the coin itself, but the early generation NGC holder that it is in.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:04 AM, Thirteenth said:

Just to close this one out.

After the Initial post I reached out to a collector of American Rarities, who agreed to pay me $2500 for the coin.

They send it to CAC where it received a Green sticker , meaning it is accurately graded and on the upper end of the MS64s out there.

Thanks to everyone that expressed interest.  I'm glad the coin went to someone who can appreciate not only the coin itself, but the early generation NGC holder that it is in.

Well done! :applause: