• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Topic, I’ll start: Morgan’s in the Movies
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I've always rewound, relooked, and then paused coins and bills in old movies and TV series. Most are real, some it's hard to tell. Early Gunsmoke, Wagon Tain, even the Three Stooges in the 30's from time to time. It's enjoyable to me. ("Please don't clean them") 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:39 AM, ronnie stein said:

Most are real, some it's hard to tell. Early Gunsmoke, Wagon Tain, even the Three Stooges in the 30's from time to time.

What is fun is when the coin or note is an anachronism.  In one Gunsmoke they show the back of a $50 bill, a SMALL size $50 with the post 1929 back design.  In another one during a poker game there are two Saint-Gaudens double eagles laying on the table.  And finally in yet another poker game you see a silver dollar, a Peace dollar.  Gunsmoke is set in the 1870's

In the United States, counterfeit cash has been around as long as the real stuff. There was a huge increase in counterfeiting crimes in the wake of the Civil War (it was estimated that anywhere between one-third to half of the money circulating throughout the country at the time was fake), and in order to combat this, federal laws were established. Among them was the banning of real money in photography.

Saw a couple of Morgan dollars in a movie on TV yesterday. James Garner was playing Wyatt Earp and Jason Robards playing a way too old Doc Holiday. “Hour of the Gun”. 1967.