• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1835 Capped Bust Dime Attribution?

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a good attribution guide for these? I would like to determine die marriage. I need to buy a resource if anyone has suggestions or an online option? I looked and didn't see any.

IMG_0001_1.JPG

IMG_0002_1.JPG

On 3/31/2022 at 8:35 PM, Just Bob said:

You have a good attribution guide at your fingertips.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dimes/early-dimes-1796-1837/

I have an idea which one it is, but I will let you have the fun of looking for yourself.

Well you learn something every day. I had no clue the NGC explorer went into that depth. 

Looks like JR-5 to me. Is that what you were thinking?

On 3/31/2022 at 9:53 PM, Woods020 said:

Well you learn something every day. I had no clue the NGC explorer went into that depth. 

Looks like JR-5 to me. Is that what you were thinking?

Variety Plus is a much better resource than most of us realize. 

I agree with JR-5. It is the only example on which the top of the numeral "5" is not curved.  As is my habit though, I started with the T-I relationship on the reverse first, so it took me a bit to get there. Had I started with the obverse, I would have found it much sooner.

Attribution is one of my favorite things to do when someone posts a new coin, and Variety Plus is a big help.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:25 PM, Just Bob said:

I agree with JR-5. It is the only example on which the top of the numeral "5" is not curved.  As is my habit though, I started with the T-I relationship on the reverse first, so it took me a bit to get there. Had I started with the obverse, I would have found it much sooner.

Attribution is one of my favorite things to do when someone posts a new coin, and Variety Plus is a big help.

The alignment of the obverse stars on the left side are an easy pick up as well.

Edited by Woods020

On 3/31/2022 at 11:25 PM, Just Bob said:

You are always good at the attributions I have noticed. Much appreciated!

On 4/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, DWLange said:

VarietyPlus is linked to Explorer, but it's a stand-alone site in its own right.

Well I clearly have not given it enough credit. Kudos to NGC for supplying all of this info. I know it is a daunting task to go into die marriages and it is great to see this kind of support to collectors.