• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hi fellow collectors wondering if this is a known error

6 posts in this topic

This is a 1973 S kennedy half proof dcam i have and seems the revearse is tilted off center is this a known error ? This is not graded and in a unsealed holder so not to be confused.

20220330_063406.jpg

20220330_063435.jpg

Welcome Dave , It is a little off center inside the case, I think  it would have to be off center 10 to 15 % to be something of a rarity.  

On 3/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Welcome Dave , It is a little off center inside the case, I think  it would have to be off center 10 to 15 % to be something of a

ya i thought I was seeing things when I flipped the coin 1st time I put in better holder and seen eagle alittle off i always try to center coin with obverses( kennedys head) . I didn't want to consider grading it and paying extra for variant if its not . Well ty for taking the time and your help guys.

Edited by DBA dave

Surprisingly common.   When they reach 30+degrees off, make note of it on your flip or coin holder.   It might get you an extra buck when sold.  Otherwise, its just "intersting".  Good eye catching it .

Just to explain a little about what you are seeing there are two dies that strike the coin. One has the obverse design and the other the reverse. Ideally those dies are set in coin alignment, but from time to time they are rotated slightly. As others have said it needs to be drastically rotated to demand a premium.