• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1873 Closed 3 2C

12 posts in this topic

Hi there..,So I sent in a 1873 closed 3 2c coin to get graded and it came back as Proof Details Altered Color… What ?? How do you even put a price on something like that.. I’m really tempted to sending it back for a 2nd opinion because I don’t feel the color was altered. It’s a beautiful coin you can read and see all details with the naked eye.. I don’t know what to do because the NGC takes months to grade a coin and I’m looking to sell my collection of coins.. 

Ah yes. This is one of the biggest areas of question. I had to pay a price to learn. A couple disappointed results will educate you. Post pictures here and we’ll do what we can. This is not an easy thing you are doing. There will be mistakes. It’s ok. 
Sorry and I say again we’ve done it and will help you.  

I mean the coin is from the 1800’s anything is possible.., but it’s a really nice coin and with a grade like that how do you put a price on it is my real question? I believe only 600 were minted so I’m excited to even have one.. 

Color does not look natural, at least in the photos. Doesn't mean it's not a rare or interesting coin, just means the surface does look altered. Sounds to me like NGC got it right.

The best way to figure out a value is to look for previous auctions for this type of coin with this problem.   Here is the first one that I found in a PCGS holder, PCGS uses slightly different verbiage but this example is the same as what you have.   Also can you provide a photo of the NGC label too.

Heritage sale of proof alt color

Your options, well you could crack this out and send it back to NGC or use another TPG like PCGS or ANACS and see if you get the same result.   That will take time and money, and because there is not a big price swing between what that PCGS detail coin sold for and what most PR63's are crossing the auction block for I do not think I would consider it worth the cost, but your choice.

This is what this proof should look like if it helps. And just because there are only 600 the price isn’t astronomical. Only so many collectors, and honesty those collectors tend to want the best. This one may be hard to sell. Not to in any way say it doesn’t have value, but it won’t be crazy money  

5139FE2A-661C-4577-B6AE-78197CAE4765.jpeg

A61CCADB-BC36-4B92-9745-6DFCA43E661B.jpeg

Edited by Woods020

Thank you all.. it looks Red and Brown to me.., but Im gonna hold onto it see what I’d like to do.. 🙃 I looked into it they sell for a couple of grand in this condition so it definitely ain’t a lost for me… Thanks again..

In addition to color, it looks like any trace of the proof surfaces in the fields may be gone too. But as I often write, photos often deceive as much as they inform. The last time I held one of these in my hands, in a cardboard 2x2, was a few years ago in a small town Pennsylvania auction, and it looked fairly similar to yours. I keep mine in a Dansco album that lacks the proof only issues.  

Edited by VKurtB