• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mints were once major tourist attractions
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Prior to covid my wife and I took the tour of the Denver mint while we were there visiting our daughter.   It was a fun experience and I learned a few things and saw some of the old equipment that the mint has on display.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Philly is not doing tours yet.  I have checked often.

Neither is Denver. I checked just prior to going to Colorado Springs. San Francisco and West Point never do public tours, only occasional VIP things. 

“ Mints were once tourist attractions “.

Yes they were. 
In the 1960s I visited the Philadelphia Mint - I don’t remember who took me - but I do remember looking down at the massive tubs of glittering metal . And gawking. Being a child, that to me was thrilling. 

Now ? You risk your life getting down there by foot from the train station. And nobody I know goes into the city, anymore if they can help it. The mint , no doubt, like the rest of the city, is not a welcoming place. I remember going in there later on once , thinking of buying a new issue. Now, I’m not even sure you can do a simple retail buy at the counter. 

Mint HQ in Washington DC has a small retail sales area in the lobby. They also sell BEP souvenir sheets (towels, blankets, etc.).

On 4/2/2022 at 9:47 PM, Dave1384 said:

“ Mints were once tourist attractions “.

Yes they were. 
In the 1960s I visited the Philadelphia Mint - I don’t remember who took me - but I do remember looking down at the massive tubs of glittering metal . And gawking. Being a child, that to me was thrilling. 

Now ? You risk your life getting down there by foot from the train station. And nobody I know goes into the city, anymore if they can help it. The mint , no doubt, like the rest of the city, is not a welcoming place. I remember going in there later on once , thinking of buying a new issue. Now, I’m not even sure you can do a simple retail buy at the counter. 

When Philly and Denver reopen for tours, their retail sales counters will as well. Having seen both, the Denver one is by far the better one. It’s a real store. Philly really is a slightly overgrown counter. As Roger said, the DC headquarters has one as well. It is the smallest of the three, but has the most knowledgeable staff manning it.