• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peace Dollar Question for RWB

16 posts in this topic

@RWB

This was recently posted on another site.  I don't Have a copy of The Guide Book of Peace Dollars but figured I would go to the source.  Is the following post perpetuating an urban legend, or is it factual?  My understanding is that the V was part of the classical roman design elements.

Thanks

@ccmorgan said:
I always wondered why is the U a V in TRUST?

It's a good question. I looked this up once. Turns out, it was intentional. The Allies in WW-I were victorious over Wilhelm and the German 2nd Reich, so to mark the victory, the US Mint, authorized by the United States Congress, used a V in Trust to mark the "V"ictory. Hence, In God We TRVST

One of my favorite links here:

https://archive.org/details/RG104Sequence77Box7Folder7/page/n79/mode/1up

Includes this - it's from 1973, but the same sentiment was in earlier letters from the mint I don't seem to have bookmarked unfortunately.  When I first saw the thread, I told myself for sure Roger would post some letters from NARA

trVst.JPG

There are a lot of other interesting topics in the pages of that link too.

Edited by StrikeOutXXX

Nice find. This box/folder dates from 1973.

A quantity of this material from the Denver Mint archives is available on NNP. Start here: https://nnp.wustl.edu/Library/Archives?searchLetter=U

...and look down the list for "Sequence 77"

Edited by RWB

Similarly, the Roman alphabet also lacked a “J”. I didn’t need a Mint letter to know this, just a Classical education. 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Similarly, the Roman alphabet also lacked a “J”. I didn’t need a Mint letter to know this, just a Classical education. 

If only educators would have documented that info in books or other educational sources:preach:

On 3/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If only educators would have documented that info in books or other educational sources:preach:

Are you absolutely certain anything short of a personal letter to Roger would suffice?

On 3/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Or in an Indiana Jones movie for that matter. 

Edited by VKurtB

As an example, Roman God "Jupiter" is spelled "IVPPITER" in classical Latin. (Pronounced approximately: eYu-pe-teh)

[Side note: the Roman known as Julius Caesar in English was in classical Latin IVLIVS CAESAR and pronounced

approx: eYul-eYus Ky-sar ]

Edited by RWB

On 3/16/2022 at 8:33 PM, DWLange said:

That is utter nonsense. The Roman alphabet did not have a letter U, so classical art frequently defaults to letter V in its place. It is seen on some coins and many medals, as well as non-numismatic art.

Well, that is nice to know. I read the explanation ATS, perhaps before it was corrected, and I bought it. Nice to be corrected before I spread the word. Thanks.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, TPRC said:

I read the explanation ATS, perhaps before it was corrected, and I bought it.

Demand a refund!

;)

ATS ain’t everthang it’s cracked up to be, y’all. Stinkin’ Cal-ee-fornans. 

(We now return to northern speech.)

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, VKurtB said:

ATS ain’t everthang it’s cracked up to be, y’all. Stinkin’ Cal-ee-fornans. 

(We now return to northern speech.)

And I’m not even banned ATS. I just don’t care enough to remember my login and password.