Peace Dollar Question for RWB

16 posts in this topic

@RWB

This was recently posted on another site.  I don't Have a copy of The Guide Book of Peace Dollars but figured I would go to the source.  Is the following post perpetuating an urban legend, or is it factual?  My understanding is that the V was part of the classical roman design elements.

Thanks

@ccmorgan said:
I always wondered why is the U a V in TRUST?

It's a good question. I looked this up once. Turns out, it was intentional. The Allies in WW-I were victorious over Wilhelm and the German 2nd Reich, so to mark the victory, the US Mint, authorized by the United States Congress, used a V in Trust to mark the "V"ictory. Hence, In God We TRVST

Mr. Lange is absolutely correct.

This evidence of abject ignorance has been around since the first Liberty Standing quarters were released in 1917, and repeated in 1922 with release of Peace dollars.

One of my favorite links here:

https://archive.org/details/RG104Sequence77Box7Folder7/page/n79/mode/1up

Includes this - it's from 1973, but the same sentiment was in earlier letters from the mint I don't seem to have bookmarked unfortunately.  When I first saw the thread, I told myself for sure Roger would post some letters from NARA

trVst.JPG

There are a lot of other interesting topics in the pages of that link too.

Edited by StrikeOutXXX

Similarly, the Roman alphabet also lacked a “J”. I didn’t need a Mint letter to know this, just a Classical education. 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Similarly, the Roman alphabet also lacked a “J”. I didn’t need a Mint letter to know this, just a Classical education. 

If only educators would have documented that info in books or other educational sources:preach:

On 3/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If only educators would have documented that info in books or other educational sources:preach:

Are you absolutely certain anything short of a personal letter to Roger would suffice?

On 3/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Or in an Indiana Jones movie for that matter. 

Edited by VKurtB

As an example, Roman God "Jupiter" is spelled "IVPPITER" in classical Latin. (Pronounced approximately: eYu-pe-teh)

[Side note: the Roman known as Julius Caesar in English was in classical Latin IVLIVS CAESAR and pronounced

approx: eYul-eYus Ky-sar ]

Edited by RWB

On 3/16/2022 at 8:33 PM, DWLange said:

That is utter nonsense. The Roman alphabet did not have a letter U, so classical art frequently defaults to letter V in its place. It is seen on some coins and many medals, as well as non-numismatic art.

Well, that is nice to know. I read the explanation ATS, perhaps before it was corrected, and I bought it. Nice to be corrected before I spread the word. Thanks.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, TPRC said:

I read the explanation ATS, perhaps before it was corrected, and I bought it.

Demand a refund!

;)

ATS ain’t everthang it’s cracked up to be, y’all. Stinkin’ Cal-ee-fornans. 

(We now return to northern speech.)

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, VKurtB said:

ATS ain’t everthang it’s cracked up to be, y’all. Stinkin’ Cal-ee-fornans. 

(We now return to northern speech.)

And I’m not even banned ATS. I just don’t care enough to remember my login and password.