• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Online Price Guide Updates
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello fellow collectors :) I was wondering how often NGC updates the online price guide. It seems to me that I remember a "last updated date" when you go to a specific coin type which I no longer see. I previously asked the forum about a large variance of price (approx 200 dollars) between the top 2 grading companies in  same grade of same coin which I didn't understand. Thanx for any input :) 

v/r

Leroy

On 3/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, ldhall said:

Hello fellow collectors :) I was wondering how often NGC updates the online price guide. It seems to me that I remember a "last updated date" when you go to a specific coin type which I no longer see. I previously asked the forum about a large variance of price (approx 200 dollars) between the top 2 grading companies in  same grade of same coin which I didn't understand. Thanx for any input :) 

v/r

Leroy

They update the online price guide? When?

I keep daily notes on this sort of thing.  I began keeping the notes on October 10, 2021.

Noticed that my Puzzle Box Gold collection went up in value (NGC's assessment of the coins combined) on:

October 20, 2021; $50 higher
October 22, 2021; $100 more
February 4, 2022; $75 more
February 7, 2022; $75 more

Just FYI, I was verifying my registry coins against my inventory list, and noticed a number of VALUATION changes in at least ten coins. Value went up in most but down in a couple.

So this tells me that there are automatic updates to valuation estimates. I last did this about 60 days ago.

Thanks

On 3/13/2022 at 2:11 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Just FYI, I was verifying my registry coins against my inventory list, and noticed a number of VALUATION changes in at least ten coins. Value went up in most but down in a couple.  So this tells me that there are automatic updates to valuation estimates. I last did this about 60 days ago. Thanks

Can your provide a link to your registry ?  Couldn't find it last night.

Most coin values are going UP -- esp. gold -- so be wary about any down valuations.  Again, auction prices are your best friend (GC's end tonight).

Without going any further "out on a limb," my answer to the original poster is that NGC does 4 reassessments of coin valuations per year.

Gold has inched up in the past year, most likely as a result of inflation, with some relationship to oil becoming more expensive.

It's too cumbersome for them to do it every month, even every other month, and so 4 times per year… every three months sounds about right.

I'll keep monitoring my type set, and will know more as more data comes in.  The easiest answer would come from someone just asking Ali E.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:15 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is your primary focus the pricing differential between NGC and PCGS....or whether either or both are up-to-speed with current market values ?  Those are separate issues.

I find the online pricing guide/chart useful for the TREND going back months or years....but not for the recent past or current market value.  For that, I go to recent auctions at HA or GC.  

Those are recent...real-time...and reflect true market outcomes often with multiple bidders on multiple items of the same grade.

I was really wondering why same coin and grade had a large difference in price between the 2 grading companies. I agree GC and even even ebay gives better market trends. I also noticed people were pricing much lower than price guide. I inquired and was told it was based on population (which I didn't fully understand) and they used 1 grading company price as opposed to the company that graded the coin because its more realistic to maarket. This tells my "newbie" mind that people perceive one company different than the other due to popularity LOL

PS: I am familiar with GC but I just started looking at HA which I assume is Heritage Auctions. Thanx :) 

On 3/13/2022 at 5:25 PM, ldhall said:

I was really wondering why same coin and grade had a large difference in price between the 2 grading companies.

The PCGS premium really kicks in when the coins are at the ultra-rare population.  For instance, I don't really see much of a premium for 1924 MS-65 Saints if it is PCGS or NGC.  MS-67 is another story. 

Noticed that my Puzzle Box Gold collection went up in value (NGC's assessment of the coins combined) on:

October 20, 2021; $50 higher
October 22, 2021; $100 more
February 4, 2022; $75 more
February 7, 2022; $75 more
March 23, 2022;   $100 more

NGC and PCGS price guides are not very accurate.  These prices are inflated (even for today's market).  

I analyze the Greysheet and actual hammer prices at auctions.  Also, I don't take the "fly-away" auction hammer as the value, but look at all of the hammer prices within the last 6 months, and take the average.  Then, compare that to the Greysheet.  This is a little leg-work, but you will quickly find that if you are paying the price guide rates for your coins - you are paying too much. 

Edit note - if you are after something very rare, you will have to go back a year or more to get enough data to make your assessment statistically credible.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 3/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

NGC and PCGS price guides are not very accurate.  These prices are inflated (even for today's market).  

If prices are falling they'll be inflated.  When prices rise, they tend to be low.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I analyze the Greysheet and actual hammer prices at auctions.  Also, I don't take the "fly-away" auction hammer as the value, but look at all of the hammer prices within the last 6 months, and take the average.  Then, compare that to the Greysheet.  This is a little leg-work, but you will quickly find that if you are paying the price guide rates for your coins - you are paying too much. Edit note - if you are after something very rare, you will have to go back a year or more to get enough data to make your assessment statistically credible.

Yup.....I guess Greysheet is fairly accurate but I think there is nothing better than real-time auctions and we get them weekly from HA, GC, and even Ebay for some stuff.