• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little numismatic grin....

17 posts in this topic

I think an image of Yukon Cornelius throwing his pickax in the air, dislodging a gold nugget, and a medal press below producing 4" Hermey the elf gold medals would have been appropriate.

I like the one that was chosen for the cover better than the two above. Good decision. (thumbsu 

Here's one of the most complicated covers to design. The background image is this one:

22719u-BW.thumb.jpg.4edf82a4924aa1e33a04c45c0d32f31e.jpg

Illustration: “A Patrol in Action,” by Sgt. Howard J. Brodie, 1944. The graphite and crayon drawing shows soldiers on patrol in the jungle during the World War II Battle of Guadalcanal.

On that are illustrations of WW-II experimental pieces using drop shadows to add visual depth....

362272758_FrontCover-final-2sm.thumb.jpg.0e4d67f3ec5263cc6e62bc97d0e8fdea.jpg

With title and author text and background shadow over laid on everything else. I really liked Sgt. Brodie's sketch -- full of action and character. I tried many different positions for the coins, including removing them entirely. But every coin person I asked said that the coin images were critical to attracting collector attention....So they stayed. I took care to make sure the two faces visible in the original remained visible in the cover adaptation.

Edited by RWB

I like the second one a lot. 

The first one isn’t bad, but I think it would only appeal to those that knew you and wanted to read the book. I don’t know how, but as a fairly prolific author in this space I hope you find ways to make it somewhat appealing to newer collectors and some of the younger crowd. It’s a fine line and I certainly don’t have the answer. We want to push new and young collectors to learn the correct way, primarily through study. In order for that to be successful they need access to the right material. Both informative and not a total bore. A tirade I know but the first image would definitely go against that concept. 

On 3/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Roger, who designed the artwork that did make the cover?  The only mention of an artist I see is in the acknowledgements, Jane Waldron.

If you mean for the WW-II pattern book, I did. Jane gave me some suggestions on the final design -- fonts, positioning, etc.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:20 PM, RWB said:

But every coin person I asked said that the coin images were critical to attracting collector attention....So they stayed. I took care to make sure the two faces visible in the original remained visible in the cover adaptation.

They're probably correct, I never even NOTICED the background sketch.

On 3/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, Conder101 said:

I never even NOTICED the background sketch.

I try to tie the cover images to the book's theme and to specific content if I can. In some instances it works and in others it is too subtle or simply not visually distinct. In the following instance, I eliminated everything except the main subject (Anna Williams):

53759716_Cover04-extendedbkgd-less.thumb.jpg.3cd22b42a96ff0ae049a896794f44cbc.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Anything to say about the SAINTS cover ?

I had no input. Heritage handled that by recycling their internal book design.

I didn't understand the Pattern and Experimental book cover, and I immediately noticed the penny with WAR SERIES.

Huh?  I don't remember ever seeing one of those!  So I got out my Red Book and went to the Lincoln Cent pages.

Nothing there.

Came back to the Pattern and Experimental cover photo again, and finally put two and two together again.

The WAR SERIES was just an idea that stayed as "just an idea."

My only excuse is that I wrapped up doing my taxes last week, and they took me around 20 hours over seven days.  Still mail them in, but they're a work of art when completed.  Last time they'll be difficult as I am no longer on the ACA going forward, and I now get the senior Standard Deduction.

"War Series"  cent design is from the description of plastic pieces that were produced. No examples are known to have survived. This is the only true WW-II pattern piece.