• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The former #4 Walker Full Registry Set, here at NGC, was sold last week

8 posts in this topic

Sold through DLRC with No Reserve. 

I thought that was a risky move but he appeared to do QUITE WELL.  

Some Highlights:

1916-S 64 CAC sold for $4700

1920-D 64 sold for $8250

1921-D 64 CAC sold for $23250

1923-S OGH 64 sold for $8750

I can't remember the other results.

I also can't share a link, as I don't see where there is an 'archive' function, on their site, anymore.

Did anyone else notice this auction and, if so, what were your thoughts?

Edited by Walkerfan

I am not a collector of walkers as a series so I was not aware of the set being sold.   That does seem to be a rather interesting choice of firms to auction off a high ranking set, not to disparage DLRC but I would have thought the seller would have gotten more eyeballs from Great Collections or Heritage.   I have bought coins from DLRC and do watch their website for coins I'm interested in, but I do not think that they would be the first place on my list of auction platforms.

What was the name of this set that was sold, I'm assuming that it has been deleted from the registry set list.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:31 AM, Walkerfan said:

Yes, the owner has honorably removed the set.  

Was his set draped in the ANA flag and wheeled out on a Gerbil-drawn caisson?

Some of the prices, such as the 21-D, I think were higher long ago.

Edited by RWB

I had to look up the prices as I do not follow these, and it does look like at least for the 21-D as the seller did well.   According to the auction history I looked at only one coin sold for more ($24,600) in the previous eight years of auction data including those sold through GC.   I did see where a GC auctioned a 23-S back in 2020 for $10,860 and S&B auctioned one for $8,400 also in 2020, however both of those coins were CAC approved where it seems this coin was not.

So for these coins at least the seller was well rewarded, how did the more common date coins do in the sale?

On 3/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, RWB said:

Was his set draped in the ANA flag and wheeled out on a Gerbil-drawn caisson?

Some of the prices, such as the 21-D, I think were higher long ago.

I said ‘honorable’ because some people are too lazy or dishonest to remove their set, once it’s sold. 

Oddly enough, RCW now has the 1921-D listed on eBay for $34600, so they must’ve been the winner/high bidder.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

I had to look up the prices as I do not follow these, and it does look like at least for the 21-D as the seller did well.   According to the auction history I looked at only one coin sold for more ($24,600) in the previous eight years of auction data including those sold through GC.   I did see where a GC auctioned a 23-S back in 2020 for $10,860 and S&B auctioned one for $8,400 also in 2020, however both of those coins were CAC approved where it seems this coin was not.

These have all gone up in recent years…I’d say by at least 40-50%.