• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What updates would you like to see in the NGC Registry?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I'd love to see NGC add the ability to make and share digital coin albums like PCGS does. It's mind-boggling that it still isn't offered. Considering NGC had upgraded their Photo Vision offerings there should be a way to showcase the photos other than in the registry sets. 

Hi Ali,

I have a couple of score correction requests for the following set: India - British Colony >> Rupee, George VI, 1938-1947, Circulation Issue, Including Varieties

1) 1945L India RUPEE OPEN 5 MS  - this coin slot is as rare as 1945(B) S&W 9.32 OPEN 5 but the scores are much lower assigned to the former. This needs to be corrected and scores for both "open 5" varieties should higher and in-line with each other in the competitive set

2) 1943(B) S&W 9.21 TYPE B/3 LARGE HEAD and 1943(B) S&W-9.21A TYPE B/4 LARGE HEAD are both mules with an earlier dated obverse, hence both significantly rarer than the other 1943 varieties. Both should have atleast 2x the scores of the other 1943 rupees in my humble opinion. In fact there is not slot for the Type B/4 I mentioned above which should exist even if you deem it as non-competitive given its extreme rarity.

Greatly appreciate your help as always.

Sincerely,

Deepak Bansal

• Administrator
On 8/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, D.Bansal said:

Hi Ali,

I have a couple of score correction requests for the following set: India - British Colony >> Rupee, George VI, 1938-1947, Circulation Issue, Including Varieties

1) 1945L India RUPEE OPEN 5 MS  - this coin slot is as rare as 1945(B) S&W 9.32 OPEN 5 but the scores are much lower assigned to the former. This needs to be corrected and scores for both "open 5" varieties should higher and in-line with each other in the competitive set

2) 1943(B) S&W 9.21 TYPE B/3 LARGE HEAD and 1943(B) S&W-9.21A TYPE B/4 LARGE HEAD are both mules with an earlier dated obverse, hence both significantly rarer than the other 1943 varieties. Both should have atleast 2x the scores of the other 1943 rupees in my humble opinion. In fact there is not slot for the Type B/4 I mentioned above which should exist even if you deem it as non-competitive given its extreme rarity.

Greatly appreciate your help as always.

Sincerely,

Deepak Bansal

Hello, Deepak.

Thanks for your long time support of the NGC Registry. Please follow these instructions for score requests. The requests are logged in a queue and processed/researched in the order they are received.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

When I am logged into NGC and view any of my Competitive Sets, the Views count does not increase.

Perfect!

However, if I am logged into NGC and view my one and only Custom Set, the Views count increases each time I view it, even though I am logged in.

Would like the NGC Registry to change the Views "counter" for Custom Sets to not update the number of Views each time the logged in owner of a Custom Set views their own set.

In this way, modifications to an owner's Custom Sets will not artificially skew upward the Views counts.  If there are views of any of my Registry Sets, Competitive or Custom, I'd like to feel confident that the views are from others, and not from myself.

Great idea!  No idea of how to do it, but some programmer person might fix it. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill… I think Ali E. got this taken care of.

The funny thing is, no one seems to visit Custom Sets.  I don't think I've experienced a single visitor in over eight months.  (I only have one Custom Set.)

My real issue these days is that it seems my Competitive Sets are occasionally updated when I view them, even though I'm logged in.

I cannot be sure about this, because it takes careful monitoring and note taking.  And there is always the chance that someone happens to view one of my Competitive Sets on or around when I have viewed any of my Competitive Sets.

So, things are a work in progress to unearth the truth of what the View Counts reflect on Competitive Sets.  One way to unearth the truth is to stagger your logged in views of your Competitive Sets so that there is nary a scant chance that someone might match your logged in viewings.  Get enough of this kind of evidence data, and the truth will be revealed.

Bob

• Administrator
On 10/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Uncle Bill… I think Ali E. got this taken care of.

The funny thing is, no one seems to visit Custom Sets.  I don't think I've experienced a single visitor in over eight months.  (I only have one Custom Set.)

My real issue these days is that it seems my Competitive Sets are occasionally updated when I view them, even though I'm logged in.

I cannot be sure about this, because it takes careful monitoring and note taking.  And there is always the chance that someone happens to view one of my Competitive Sets on or around when I have viewed any of my Competitive Sets.

So, things are a work in progress to unearth the truth of what the View Counts reflect on Competitive Sets.  One way to unearth the truth is to stagger your logged in views of your Competitive Sets so that there is nary a scant chance that someone might match your logged in viewings.  Get enough of this kind of evidence data, and the truth will be revealed.

Bob

Hi, Bob.

We have logged in as you and did not see the view count change when viewing your Custom Set repeatedly. Perhaps it was a coincidence. Thank you.

Dear NGC team!

Also I would like to ask to be allowed to insert the PCGS world coins (but also raw) in the sets to see the slot checked. I would have no problem if the coins would be without score and also not visible for others. But that would be a real help for collection management!

The custom sets should finally be available in the new registry. 

I must admit that I use the PCGS collection management, even if I have only a few PCGS coins and the bulk is NGC. But I can manage any coins there with pictures and purchase information - that is service for collectors! collectors-society has unfortunately a horrible user interface :( 

Otherwise I am big fan of the new NGC registry, but would like to see a bit more functionality and inclusion of all coins (even unvisible to others) to manage my collection here  :)

Many greetings from Germany!

I would also like to have the possibility to follow friendly collectors to watch the development of their collection. currently I set bookmarks in the browser, but something built in would not be bad either.

Best wishes from Germany! 

I would like to see NGC add the ability for viewers to leave comments / messages on individual competitive sets in the registry.  PCGS set registry allows this, and it's a very nice feature. 

There've been several times that I've looked at someone's set and wished I could leave a comment, but no ability to do so.  This happens most often after I read an owner's personal comments about one of their coins, and I have an extra detail to add. Or perhaps I'd like more details about some feature of their collection.  I think quite a few people would like this ability, so I hope NGC will consider it. 

James

On 10/13/2022 at 4:09 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

My experience is that custom sets only seem to be visited if they are near the top of a particular category.  Since sets get bumped up when they are updated, the best way to get views is to routinely update, either by adding new coins or editing comments, etc.  Having a catchy title also draws attention, but again only if the set is near the top of the list where people see it immediately when opening a category.

James

Under the "Resources" tab, NGC Census, after I choose a particular country and denomination I would REALLY love to be able to click on any particular Year/Mint and have that open up a listing by certification number of the most recent 50 or 100 coins graded by NGC.  I'm, extremely interested in varieties of 19th century world gold coins, and it would be so nice to be able to view most of them in one convenient location rather than having to visit the archives of so many auction houses and online dealers. 

So many rare varieties go completely un-noticed by owners when they submit coins for grading, and the graders never bother to inform them. Instead, the graders just label the coin as listed on the submission sheet.  The NGC census is full of rare varieties that have never been correctly identified and attributed, which is very unfortunate. 

James

Edited by Cozdred

On 5/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, Ali E. said:

Hello. We have been notified that the view count on your custom set was resolved. Please let us know if you have further issues. A set will show zero views when it is first created. View count also may not update until our daily software update runs in the evenings. Thank you.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Ali, I just visited my Custom Set while logged on, my first test of this since the Blue Heart from you was noticed, and it did not update its View(s) count.  So far, so good.

I will inspect the View(s) counter later on today, and even into the evening — without visiting my Custom Set — to give the daily software update a chance to run, and see if all remains well.

Thank you for you help.

Bob

Ali,

Since April 12, 2022 my custom set (Puzzle Box Gold) has remained at 58 view counts.  I figured no one ever looked at it, and that was all.

However, on October 19, 2023 I asked a fellow member (The 12th Denticle) to view my custom set — he looked at several coins in it and was very thorough with his "viewing test" — and it did not update with a view count.

This leads me to believe that when "the view count on your custom set was resolved" the resolver essentially turned off my custom set view counter completely.

Since this constitutes a "further issue," please have someone (a resolver) look into what might be going with my custom set view counter.

Thank you.

Bob

On 11/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Ali,

Since April 12, 2022 my custom set (Puzzle Box Gold) has remained at 58 view counts.  I figured no one ever looked at it, and that was all.

However, on October 19, 2023 I asked a fellow member (The 12th Denticle) to view my custom set — he looked at several coins in it and was very thorough with his "viewing test" — and it did not update with a view count.

This leads me to believe that when "the view count on your custom set was resolved" the resolver essentially turned off my custom set view counter completely.

Since this constitutes a "further issue," please have someone (a resolver) look into what might be going with my custom set view counter.

Thank you.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I just looked at your set and the counter changed to 59. I did have to search for it though. Since it hasn't been updated in awhile it might be pretty far down the list.  That may be why you're not picking up a few views from time to time.

Redline68,

It now is at 60, so it is definitely working again.

As I keep a log of my competitive and custom set view counts, it was getting to the point where I wondered:  Why bother looking to see if the custom set has received a view, it never, ever increases?

I'm stunned to see it moving upward again!

The big question now will be:  Will it show any further view counts goin forward in the weeks and months to come?

Remember, it didn't budge for over a year and a half.

• Administrator
On 11/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Redline68,

It now is at 60, so it is definitely working again.

As I keep a log of my competitive and custom set view counts, it was getting to the point where I wondered:  Why bother looking to see if the custom set has received a view, it never, ever increases?

I'm stunned to see it moving upward again!

The big question now will be:  Will it show any further view counts goin forward in the weeks and months to come?

Remember, it didn't budge for over a year and a half.

Hello, Bob, @USAuPzlBxBob.

We currently have over 17,180 Custom NGC Registry sets. If you seek to get more "views," you may want to do updates like someone suggested.

You will get moved up in this list and may get more views that way. https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetListing.aspx?f=m&csc=0

It looks like this set has not been updated since January of 2022.