• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corrected Coin I intended to inquire about. 1980 D Penny DDO discovery!

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I posted the wrong coin! embarrassing! lol Ive created a PDF of the images I was send from  http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1980PDDO001.htm#Stage A Photos of the DDOs

of 1980, next to my actual coin. The marks are all there I believe! Please verify my findings if you would be soo kind!

Image2.thumb.png.5147bfbf9ea310b35d52cd59ef423a57.pngImage3.thumb.png.d43fe0f16c4d505250e7c4ecfec933f5.png

Image1.thumb.png.ecbbb81d28ad2e855e1d9337dc770123.png

Edited by Lacywebb

I would say no, the letters on your coin don't appear to have the additional 'thickness' typically associated with minor doubling. Looks like typical MD and die deterioration but it's very difficult to get a good look at your coin with all the shadows and light angles. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Sorry I agree with Mike. I also wanted to point you have a 1980 D showing in this thread and that year only has a DD listing for a 1980 P.

Mike and JP are correct, your coin is suffering from die erosion which leads to the letters looking distorted and is often mistaken as a doubled die by those new to the hobby.   Also as JP noted you have a 1980-D and the listing on VV is for 1980-P.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, Coinbuf said:

Mike and JP are correct, your coin is suffering from die erosion which leads to the letters looking distorted and is often mistaken as a doubled die by those new to the hobby.   Also as JP noted you have a 1980-D and the listing on VV is for 1980-P.

Yup, these things are NOT portable across mints.