• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Jefferson Nickel w/ weird swirl in center of coin Obverse and Reverse

12 posts in this topic

Can anyone provide any insight as to what this could be? Possibly cleaning damage, maybe from a dremel or something...

Appears the swirl is on the Obverse and Reverse side! 

Thanks so much to everyone who replies. 

Justin

20220224_141028.jpg

20220224_140542.jpg

WIN_20220224_10_40_06_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220224_10_40_26_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220224_10_41_04_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220224_10_41_19_Pro.jpg

On 2/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, DWLange said:

That's damage from a coin counting and/or wrapping machine.

Thank you, I have never seen this before, do those machines really do that much damage? 

On 2/24/2022 at 4:23 PM, Frantik said:

Thank you, I have never seen this before, do those machines really do that much damage? 

Yes. Common coin counters can be almost as bad. I recall seeing nearly flawless halves come from a bag, through a hand cranked counter, and come out looking like they were run over by a heard of steel-suckered octopuses.

Edited by RWB

On 2/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, RWB said:

Yes. Common coin counters can be almost as bad. I recall seeing nearly flawless halves come from a bag, through a hand cranked counter, and come out looking like they were run over by a heard of steel-suckered octopuses.

Didn't think they would do that kind of damage but guess I'll start seeing a lot more now with microscope. 

One of the tricks is to learn as much as you can about the minting and die making processes.  With some experience, it's pretty easy to know that this couldn't occur at the mint.  And if it didn't occur at the mint, it's damage, regardless of the cause 

If your interested and looking for info, here are some links for starters

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

On 2/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, Oldhoopster said:

One of the tricks is to learn as much as you can about the minting and die making processes.  With some experience, it's pretty easy to know that this couldn't occur at the mint.  And if it didn't occur at the mint, it's damage, regardless of the cause 

If your interested and looking for info, here are some links for starters

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

Thank you, appreciate your feedback.