• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel 1990 D weighs 4.3 , 4.4
1 1

12 posts in this topic

You have a badly corroded nickel, resulting in metal loss, which would explain the light weight. I believe the nominal nickel weight is 5g +/-.2, the corrosion could have caused all or some of weight reduction. I tend to think all, along with wear. This nickel was not stamped over another coin. Keep looking. (thumbsu

On 2/24/2022 at 1:40 PM, tj96 said:

What exactly is this suppose to mean??

20220224_021557.thumb.jpg.cdf6920313398a10e618e9b64f8fd5b6.jpg

It means another newbie thinks he has discovered another fantastic new error. The errors are in their thought processes, nowhere else. 

On 2/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, VKurtB said:

It means another newbie thinks he has discovered another fantastic new error. The errors are in their thought processes, nowhere else. 

They're newbies, that's why they ask basic questions.  

If you're new and start to do some research on the the net, you're going to get overwhelmed by all of the junk and misinformation from the "get rich from pockets change" hucksters that are everywhere.  Why not come here and ask a reasonable question.  

How would you you suggest that a new collector learn?  Any advice on helping them find and sort through the good info from junk on the internet?  

On 2/24/2022 at 4:35 PM, Oldhoopster said:

They're newbies, that's why they ask basic questions.  

If you're new and start to do some research on the the net, you're going to get overwhelmed by all of the junk and misinformation from the "get rich from pockets change" hucksters that are everywhere.  Why not come here and ask a reasonable question.  

How would you you suggest that a new collector learn?  Any advice on helping them find and sort through the good info from junk on the internet?  

All that is true, but it IS THE PROBLEM ITSELF. Too much reliance on the Internet. Buy books. Published, edited books. Stay suspicious of self- or vanity house published books, with exceptions for esoteric highly specialized subject areas. They’re still made, every bit as much as in 1963, when I was a newbie. I do not believe in enabling poor decision making by trying to “fix” people’s mistakes. We have an obligation to call out, unashamedly, the poor quality of coin information on the Internet. I dunno, maybe you disagree and think that’s being too harsh. It’s “tough love”. Now, you might say that folks today don’t respond well to tough love. All I have to say is, “Not. My. Problem.” I grew up listening to Andrew Dice Clay albums, not watching Barney on PBS. 

The entire incentives system on the Internet couldn’t possibly be more screwed up if it were the intent. I did late-in-life adjunct study at a Penn State county satellite campus with a pretty minimal library. Even so, citing Internet sources was the path to a crummy grade. If that has changed since, it shouldn’t have. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/25/2022 at 2:34 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Looks like its been dipped in acid at one time to me also. Its got that look to it. 

Speaking of looks. I like the new avatar photo Hoghead The beard looks a bit longer and has a little gray.. It gives you that lifetime look of experience. I like it ;) 

On 2/25/2022 at 6:14 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Speaking of looks. I like the new avatar photo Hoghead The beard looks a bit longer and has a little gray.. It gives you that lifetime look of experience. I like it ;) 

Who needs experience? We have the Internet. Whoopee! Books, schmooks. YouTube.  /s

Edited by VKurtB