• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S Low grade DDO? Floating Roof?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I notice that the designer's initials are gone, as well. That die endured some pretty heavy polishing.

Question for Lincoln cent collectors: Does a coin have to be missing initials and missing upper walls to be considered a "floating roof?" Or, is it just the roof that matters, even if some of the initials remain?

On 2/21/2022 at 2:59 PM, Just Bob said:

I notice that the designer's initials are gone, as well. That die endured some pretty heavy polishing.

Question for Lincoln cent collectors: Does a coin have to be missing initials and missing upper walls to be considered a "floating roof?" Or, is it just the roof that matters, even if some of the initials remain?

Great observation on your part!  👍🏻  Didn't even notice the missing initials.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:59 PM, Just Bob said:

Not a direct correlation, I have seen floating roofs with full initials, with partial initials, and no initials.   This was originally considered (or perhaps just marketed) as a mint error or variety for many years, I guess in some ways it kind of is.   This happened because the dies were lapped/polished and overused to the point that the design lost the roof uprights and often the initials.   In that regard this is the same as the 3 legged buffalo or the 1969-D Lincoln missing initials (which actually is a variety), just that those coins got the promotion it takes to be a recognized variety while the floating roof did not.   As such the floating roof does not add any value to a coin at all, even if it truly can be considered a floating roof.   That however has not stopped people from holding onto or attempting to sell these even today.

I think the floating roof concept may have possibly started with a fellow by the name of Frank Spadone, he published a book back in the sixties (I think in the sixties) that catalogued a ton of very obscure errors and varieties.   Most of what was in those books have been found to not be any type of error or variety now, but a few of the more interesting phrases have lived on.   I have not been able to directly tie him to the floating roof, partly as I do not have a copy of that book, nor have I ever found a source of who or where the phrase definitively came from.   But I have seen his name mentioned as connected to this over the years as I have looked into it.

It is my opinion that dealers seized this opportunity to use the catchy name and sell some coins that really had no value at higher prices to collectors as rare or valuable errors back when the coin business was all raw coins.   We know today how this occurred and know that it is not important, but that has not stopped the hype and people still push this to the public as collectable on many of the social media sites like youtube.

Edited by Coinbuf

These were made all the more frequent by the lowering of the relief for all 1969 cents. Put a 1968 next to a 1969 and you’ll see it instantly. The hub was completely redone with more detail but lowered relief.