• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please confirm if this looks authentic?

8 posts in this topic

I ,personally think it’s a forgery. Seller has only sold a few items, the 8 and 5 don’t look right, the edge is supposed to be reeded and smooth alternatively, we can’t see the edge only from straight on shots and the fact that there are only 10 of these left after the rest of the 500 minted were melted down. Why would this guy just not sell it to Whytes? Also what can you mail from England to the US for 1.00?

I smell scam stay away.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

PRICE REALISED:€5,400

Amazing and Irish too. Good call on your part. :golfclap:

Edited by Alex in PA.

Looks odd to me.  I have a number of Irish coins.  Nothing valuable at all but the one from the link looks off without immediately comparing and the fact the entire coin is not shown in either photo is not good.

Edited by MN1

On 2/20/2022 at 8:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

From Whyte's April, 2019 auction: 'These coins were issued in advance of production to various companies and organisations to facilitate calibration of vending machines and other coin operated devices such as telephones, meters etc. According to sources in the Central Bank less than 50 pieces of the 500 or so issued were not returned. To date about ten examples in private hands have been recorded, making it one of the rarest Irish modern coins, even scarcer than the 1943 florin. Lightly streaked and uneven toning, extremely fine.' PRICE REALISED:€5,400

This is similar to the US Mint's August 1916 "Mercury" dime production where samples were sent to slot machine (telephones, vending machines, etc.) companies. Results were so bad due to thickness variations that the whole production was melted and changes made to the design. A few pieces were not returned, and these are now considered patterns and very highly prized. (The full story is in my book Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921.)

Edited by RWB