• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Satin Finish? Please give me your thoughts. Thank you.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Please give me your thoughts regarding the surface texture of this coin and if appears to be a Satin Finish to you. The edge is smooth and shines. The second picture is for comparison to another Jefferson of the same year. Thank you all.  

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

Edited by GBrad

What are the dates @GBrad ?

The reason I'm asking, some P's & D's have dramatically different luster's or surfaces.

Edited by tj96

The Mint Bureau has played with several different finishes for Unc coins and others. They have also tossed about names for these finishes with no logic or connection to past practices. Hence, you "gherkin" nickel could be kosher, dill or Granny's extra salty.

On 2/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, asdfgh said:

The date is very important. The 2005 thru 2010 mint sets had a satin finish. (SMS coins)

Yes the date is important Greg there were two Regular and two Satin P+D 2005 to 2010 and they called them SMS. not sure why ? maybe to make it confusing.

@J P Mashoke and @asdfgh Hey ya'll. I am familiar with the dates of the Satin finishes on the Jefferson series from 2005 through 2010.  I was not trying to pull a fast one on anyone here at all. I was just trying to get some feedback on this Nickel and if it appeared to you experienced collectors to have, or exhibit, a Satin Finish as found on the 05's to 2010's. I firmly believes it does.  I did not supply the date for the reason, partly in the fact, that I would have been shot down instantly.  I posted this one more in the hopes of getting an unbiased answer (regardless of the date) as if the surface of this coin does indeed appear to have a Satin Finish.  RWB gave an answer (and you guys know me by now I'd hope, I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever with anything I say in a comment or response, and never have and never ever will, just in case I do not word my thoughts properly these days) in that the mint experimented with different finishes on their coins but they apparently did not care to announce this to the public.  Whether or not RWB meant a coin "outside" of the known Satin Finish series years timeframe for the Jefferson, I do not know. I wouldn't expect him to comment on this because he too did not know what date this coin was. 

I do not want to push the issue and in hindsight, I probably should not have even posted this coin. If I could delete the post I would.  It simply interested me when I found this one in a bank roll because I have never seen what, in my opinion, appears to be a satin finish on a coin of this year Nickel. Was it a fluke, I don't know.  Was it an intentional differently prepared planchet at the mint, I don't know.  Was it an old 2010 satin finished planchet (if the planchets were even prepared with a satin finish before being struck, which this info I have not been able to find) hidden in the corner of the mint coin production room and got swept up and thrown in the hopper, I don't know. Too many questions. 

This is definitely not a case of PMD. This coin exhibits a uniformly solid satiny surface, almost looks sandblasted, both obverse and reverse. The edge is perfectly smooth and shiny.  Websites don't seem to ever post pics of the edge of a coin unless it is reeded and exhibits some type of error so I am not sure what the edge of a satin finish coin should look like. I do not own any. The pics aren't the best, but you can see the difference in the finish between them.  This is a 2019 P minted Jefferson just for the record. Thank you all.

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

Edited by GBrad

LoL that's funny. I find these all the time and never think about the fact that they are different. I guess I just thought that they were using a type of sand blasting method on the dies to get the clash marks and scratches out instead of polishing .. 

On 2/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, J P Mashoke said:

LoL that's funny. I find these all the time and never think about the fact that they are different. I guess I just thought that they were using a type of sand blasting method on the dies to get the clash marks and scratches out instead of polishing .. 

That is a very plausible theory J P, thank you, I never though about that.  Maybe the mint has come up with a more proficient method in which to remove die clashes, feeder finger scrapes/damage, or minor die issues from their face(s).  Thank you, much appreciated.