• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 mint sets
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why they put a S mint mark nickel in the  Philly pack instead of a P in the 69 mint sets. Never noticed it before. Couldn't find an answer online. Thanks 

Hi Patman!! It's because Philadelphia did not strike any nickels in 1968, 1969 and 1970.  Only Denver and San Francisco did, so those are what ended up in the mint sets.  Philly nickels show back up in 1971.

A "mint set" is intended to have one (sometimes 2) coin of each denomination that were struck for circulation in a specific year. Coin production is planned for each year so that the capacity of each mint can be used most efficiently. This results in some denominations not being made at all mints in every year.

It's kind of funny I asked the same question online but didn't get the answer had a feeling that it was something simple like that but somehow got everything except that.  Know that I can count on you guys. That's cool appreciated that Information. Hence the 75 set has 76 coins to fill in. So I'm guessing that the 75 set wasn't released until 76.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, Patman54 said:

It's kind of funny I asked the same question online but didn't get the answer had a feeling that it was something simple like that but somehow got everything except that.  Know that I can count on you guys. That's cool appreciated that Information. Hence the 75 set has 76 coins to fill in. So I'm guessing that the 75 set wasn't released until 76.

The mint started making the bicentennial coins in 1975 in anticipation of a high demand. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For the quarter, half and dollar the U. S. Mint coined only 1974-dated pieces through July 3, 1975 and then switched over to the dual-dated Bicentennial issues after the holiday. These new types were given a staggered release during the second half of 1975. Both the 1975 and 1976 Uncirculated and Proof sets included the three Bicentennial coins.

Originally, there were to be 1975-dated quarters, halves and dollars, but this plan was abandoned in fear that the mints could not coin enough of them before the switchover date to prevent hoarding by collectors.

I would wonder if part of the reason they didn't strike nickels 1968 to 70 or half dollars from 1967 to 70 might have related to the fact that during that period they were in the process of building and moving from the third P mint to the fourth P Mint.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:33 PM, Conder101 said:

I would wonder if part of the reason they didn't strike nickels 1968 to 70 or half dollars from 1967 to 70 might have related to the fact that during that period they were in the process of building and moving from the third P mint to the fourth P Mint.

Bingo!