• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fifty cent question
2 2

9 posts in this topic

This half dollar caught my attention because of the colors and the unusual items items on Kennedy's cheek and nose. They are in relief and seem to be extremely tall for a die clash. I am wondering what they are and if i overpaid at eight bucks. Thanks for any help!

20220203_001804.jpg

20220203_001838.jpg

20220203_114431.jpg

The nose looks to be a die chip, the photos are slightly blurry and I cannot tell from your photos on the cheek.   It may be a strike through or even a minor lamination, we would need sharper photos of that to say.   You have what appears to be some PVC slime on the rev and that needs to be addressed now, it may possibly have already begun the process of eating into the surface of the coin but if not arrested now it most defiantly will do so.

Get some 100% acetone, this can be found at most hardware or big box home improvement stores.   Use a container that the acetone will not melt, glass is best, and soak the coin in the acetone for a few minutes.   Then take a q-tip dipped into some fresh acetone and roll (not rub or brush across) the surface to remove any stubborn green stuff.   A final rinse in another fresh bowl of acetone will complete the process, throw away that 2X2 and use a new one.

I will not say that you overpaid, I will only say that I would not have paid $8 for that coin from what I see in these photos.

Silver value today is about $3.31. Most of these sell for a slight spread over melt. I'd say if you were buying such a dingy and crudulated piece today, $3.50 would be pushing it.

Welcome Clay to the forum and welcome to to fooled buyers club! We’ve all been there ! My last one was an over graded Morgan. But overall, I’ve stayed the course and valuation far exceeds the expense and the enjoyment value is something else again. I was lucky enough to acquire the entire Kennedy set from 1964 to 2021 proof and BU . Question of the day. Was there a Kennedy half “W”mint?

then I got on a proof set kick 1964-to not done yet. About 40. I think the Kennedy coins are under appreciated.

Edited by Mr.Bill347

Unless you can get someone to pay you more then 8 bucks, you "way" over paid.  But if you like it, it's worth it.

I don't believe your pictures are good enough to tell what those marks are.  I'm in the damaged or "hits" column until I can see better pictures.  The green is probable damage. What we call verdigris.

Edited by tj96