• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coin question

24 posts in this topic

Yes, the 82 cent large and small date both come in zinc and copper. I don’t know about a Doubled Die on both sides, I have never seen that. Do you have a picture?

Edited by Greenstang

Welcome to the forum.  I'm with @Greenstang on this one.  I have never heard of a 1982 Lincoln that is doubled on both sides.  Not that it is impossible for it to happen, but I'm fairly certain that one would have been found or surfaced by now, some 40 years later.....

On 1/31/2022 at 4:55 AM, Greenstang said:

Yes, the 82 cent large and small date both come in zinc and copper. I don’t know about a Doubled Die on both sides, I have never seen that. Do you have a picture?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2.5 gram penny was started in 83 the few that got made in 82 and the 3.0 that got out in 83 werent suppose to happen 

All this is new to me I am not a collector but I do have some coins Id like to get info on

sending pics of 3 82 pennies and also for and giggles pics of the 69 penny

On 1/31/2022 at 9:05 AM, Dacid Vigil said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2.5 gram penny was started in 83 the few that got made in 82 and the 3.0 that got out in 83 werent suppose to happen 

All this is new to me I am not a collector but I do have some coins Id like to get info on

There were 7 different variations of the Lincoln cent made in 1982, some were copper that weigh 3.11 grams and some that are the current zinc center with copper cladding which weigh 2.5 grams.   There were a few just a small handful of copper blanks that were struck using the dies for the new zinc cent, those 3 or 4 known coins are what everyone is told they can find and get rich off.

I'm sorry to say that your chance of winning the lottery while simultaneously wrestling an alligator in Death Valley is better than the chance of finding another of those coins.   No one knows for sure how those few came to be, one theory is that some left over copper blanks were stuck in a tote and got mixed in with the new zinc blanks.   It is as good a theory as any, but we will never know for sure why, what we do know is that it is more than just unlikely that you will ever find one in your sock drawer.

We get this question here on this forum almost week, many times multiple times a day, and never has anyone had the magic bullet.

But we are happy to help so please do post your coins and we can help to identify them for you.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:55 AM, Greenstang said:

So I hope you got pics I just looked over 82 pennies  2 small dates with the D stamped twice larger date D is questionable but definate dd on reverse side smaller dates definate dd on reverse side 

All 3 weigh 2.5 grams 

As I said before I'm not familiar with the concept am I missing something

On 1/31/2022 at 1:00 PM, Dacid Vigil said:

So I hope you got pics I just looked over 82 pennies  2 small dates with the D stamped twice larger date D is questionable but definate dd on reverse side smaller dates definate dd on reverse side 

All 3 weigh 2.5 grams 

Yes your missing everything everyone has told you so far. :roflmao:

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/31/2022 at 2:00 PM, Dacid Vigil said:

This is incorrect. The 2.5 gram copper coated zinc cent was first minted in 1982. There were 7 different types minted that year, including four types that weighed 2.5 grams. If you will enlarge the picture that James posted above, you will see the different types. All of them are common. 

You really need to get the dollar signs out of your eyes. If you want to become a coin collector, that is great. We will welcome you and help you as much as we can. If you want to get rich quick, I suggest you try to find another way.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, Coinbuf said:

There were 7 different variations of the Lincoln cent made in 1982, some were copper that weigh 3.11 grams and some that are the current zinc center with copper cladding which weigh 2.5 grams.   There were a few just a small handful of copper blanks that were struck using the dies for the new zinc cent, those 3 or 4 known coins are what everyone is told they can find and get rich off.

I'm sorry to say that your chance of winning the lottery while simultaneously wrestling an alligator in Death Valley is better than the chance of finding another of those coins.   No one knows for sure how those few came to be, one theory is that some left over copper blanks were stuck in a tote and got mixed in with the new zinc blanks.   It is as good a theory as any, but we will never know for sure why, what we do know is that it is more than just unlikely that you will ever find one in your sock drawer.

We get this question here on this forum almost week, many times multiple times a day, and never has anyone had the magic bullet.

But we are happy to help so please do post your coins and we can help to identify them for you.

If we're talking the 1982-D Copper Small Date cent, here's something for the OP to consider.  There are two of those coins known to exist 40 years after they were struck.  By contrast, there are 32 reasonably complete adult skeletons of Tyrannosaurus Rex known to exist 66 million years after they went extinct in the Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction Event.  Making this a sheer numbers game, you have better odds of finding a 33rd reasonably complete adult Tyrannosaurus Rex than you do of finding a third 1982-D Copper Small Date cent.

Edited by Mohawk

People my apologies wow I am sorry for using an 82 penny in my question 

As a newbie I now know not to bring up the 82 penny 

Ithank you for educating me on this fairy tale penny and little about other that I was unsure of

my remark" has one of these been turned in yet" I thought was quite hilarious for a newbie

Once again my apologies 

There is absolutely no reason for you to apologize about bringing up this coin. This just happens to be one of those issues we get frequent questions about, so sometimes our answers tend to be direct and without sugar-coating. No offense was intended on my part, and I am sure, no one else's either. I was just trying to make sure I got my point across. No doubt Mohawk and the others were, as well.

Welcome to the forum.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:02 PM, Just Bob said:

There is absolutely no reason for you to apologize about bringing up this coin. This just happens to be one of those issues we get frequent questions about, so sometimes our answers tend to be direct and without sugar-coating. No offense was intended on my part, and I am sure, no one else's either. I was just trying to make sure I got my point across. No doubt Mohawk and the others were, as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Bob, you're absolutely correct.  This thread just started like way too many that raised the red flags I addressed in my answer.  To the OP.....being new, there was no way you could have possibly known that.  We get some problematic posters around here fairly regularly, and as Bob said, we're not ones to really sugar coat things.  If you're looking to learn about coins and learn how to be a coin collector, then we'd be only too glad to help out.  There were just a few things that I felt we needed to get out of the way, so I brought them up so we could get them out of the way and proceed.

Edited by Mohawk

Sugar coated? Hmmm interesting choice of words 

You and everybody else got their point across that's why I apologized 

Now I'm just being polite 

As I said before I'm no collector. But I do know the time I've spent looking at coins articles for the past couple of months that maybe I found something a lil classy a lil cool to be involved in even to the point of joining this site 

Ehhh who knows 

Thx for the experience

On 2/2/2022 at 12:59 AM, Dacid Vigil said:

Sugar coated? Hmmm interesting choice of words

Old expression.  Many years ago medicines, pills etc. especially bad tasting ones would be made with a sugar coating to make them more palatable or "easier to take"  it.  So "sugar coating" ones words would mean to express them in ways so as to make them gentler or easier to accept.  Non-offensive.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:29 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Here’s my standard 2- cents. Might help. Weight seems light  Sorry about picture quality   $10 or less on eBay   If your roll hunting it can be helpful for comparison ( I’m better with in hand, than pictures) 

18754C85-5B96-43A5-9DC2-D9D8DD263339.png

So no '82D small date coppers? Or i miss it somewhere? Nvm my question was answered futher down the thread by @Mohawk

Edited by JAnsley

David

Here are two easy ways to distinguish a Small Date from Large. There are more but I find these the easiest

A Large Date is closer to the rim than a Small Date.

The top of the 8 is larger than on a Small Date

1982 small large.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 2:00 PM, Dacid Vigil said:

All 3 weigh 2.5 grams 

You are wrong. They were started in 1982, not 1983. 

Hey greenstang how's it going thanks for that info yeah all coppers large date 

Hey I wanted to send some pics to you to maybe get a bit of info on certain coins I have 

You were the first to respond and seemed more layed back than the others 

I like to play possum sometimes to get the feel of who I'm dealing with