• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS Nickels
1 1

3 posts in this topic

In my NGC Nickels registry sets I have NGC and PCGS coins. I know NGC has two FS designations 5 FS and 6FS .PCGS only has one FS designation. When I look at my registry PCGS coins they are designated and priced for NGC 5 step designated coins. Why is that when I know my PCGS coins are 6 FS and are priced accordingly on the PCGS coin lookup as a full FS coin. Is it just automatic that they consider all PCGS coins are all 5 FS coins. I know the price guide is never 100% accurate but the price difference between a 6 FS coin and a 5 FS coin can be as much as $75 or more. I thank NGC for allowing PCGS coins in the registry it makes life a lot easier building sets but I also use the registry as a reference on the value of the coins. For me if there is a big price difference it makes it more difficult to keep track of the monetary value of the sets. Thank you  JP.      

PCGS only requires 5 full steps to give the designation of FS, and as PCGS does not differentiate between 5 and 6 steps by default they are considered to be 5 full steps.   The software has no way to know if the PCGS coin you have has only the PCGS requirement of 5 full steps or all 6.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:35 PM, Coinbuf said:

PCGS only requires 5 full steps to give the designation of FS, and as PCGS does not differentiate between 5 and 6 steps by default they are considered to be 5 full steps.   The software has no way to know if the PCGS coin you have has only the PCGS requirement of 5 full steps or all 6.

Thanks Coinbuff.  I had a feeling that was the reason but I figure it was easier to ask then to just assume.