• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get Silver Eagles from tubes graded? New to this...

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks!  Glad to be here.  I've collected bullion for a while but never minted coin bullion.  I have two sealed tubes of 2022 Silver Eagles on the way to me, and I wondered - would they be in any quality to send in and get a few MS69-MS70 out of them?  How often might that happen, if at all?

Thanks in advance for your answer. :)

Hummm  well you are going to get a couple of answers coming here.  I am not  high on slabbing the bullion coins.  so the question is why would you want to?  also just becasue they are in tubes doesnt garrentee you will get a 69 or 70.  these are made by the millions, and well if you are looking to flip them on Ebay or something i am sure you can get a buyer.   However the premium wears off in a few months and if you havent gotten them back by then. well then youa re out the grading fees and shipping.  If you got to try and turn them in then a lot of the tiomes they will only give you a little over spot and then you have wasted your time slabbing them.  I say keep them in the roll  hod on to them and then maybe one day they may be worth your time.  that is just me.  i put all of mine in a dansco year by year and the extras are just in  flips in a box.

No one can reliably predict the grades you can expect, however here is a screen shot of the pops as of today for 2022 ASE's from NGC.   I assume that the data would be similar at PCGS as well.  Something to keep in mind when looking at this data is that these submissions are almost certainly from bulk dealers who set a minimum grade when they send in a box or ten, that is why you only see MS69 and MS70 in the pops currently.

image.thumb.png.00e184c7aac1aa591a550f0d27fa12e6.png

Edited by Coinbuf

I can usually find MS70 FDOI for as cheap as I can grade one.  I got a pre-order with Bullion Shark for $65 and no chance of it grading MS69.  Coin, grading, shipping and handling would be at least that much.

Edited by BearlyHereBear

On 1/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, Jester Sweetwhite said:

So then, if I just wanted a nice, slabbed coin, I should buy one?  Got it, thanks, everyone. :)

I agree with Bear. You can buy one guaranteed and slabbed bout as cheap or cheaper and know the grade for sure. The dealers get a discount getting them graded is the reason they sell them so cheap. Where me or you would have to pay around $90 or something. I think thats bout what it is. Shipping insurance and all. Not counting shipping and insurance getting it there. Then have to wait a couple months to get them back and may be a lower grade then desired. 

On 1/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Just store them away. Its a first year design change

Second year of the design, these are 2022 rolls.

Raw coins are around $32 each, grading (if you send in 5 or more) costs around $28 each so then you've got $60 each in the coins.  Already graded MS-69's can be purchased for $44 each, MS-70's for around $55.  If it was me, I wouldn't bother sending them in.

Now if you were sending in several monster boxes at a time and could get the slabbing fees down, then it might be worth it.  Or if you were a distributor and were buying direct from the Mint at $25 each that would help as well.

Edited by Conder101