• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaving an image, after 2008 US Mint coins by computer design.

6 posts in this topic

Actually it's probable, conducting test strikes.
I'd think the image was created on screen and has no valid url record to recall simply if deleted.
When testing a new choice of design adjustment, the computer designer would need to leave the image in case the outcome is chosen FOR the original instead.

That's how a modified hub doubled die is possible in the single squeeze hubbing era.

Edited by Robert S. Lahti
Adding text

On 1/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, Robert S. Lahti said:

I'd think the image was created on screen and has no valid url record to recall simply if deleted.
When testing a new choice of design adjustment, the computer designer would need to leave the image in case the outcome is chosen FOR the original instead.

That's how a modified hub doubled die is possible in the single squeeze hubbing era.

Can you more fully explain, please?

On 1/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, Robert S. Lahti said:

I don't know why I am wasting my time, but I have been trying to find any correlation whatsoever between the first three sentences and the fourth sentence.

The OP might be trying to say this (original comments in highlight):

There is no subject in this sentence, so we don’t know what “it’s” refers to.

The designer created the image on a computer system and unless the drawing had a file name, it could be lost.

The artist might be working on several designs at the same time. If a previous version were preferred, the current and previous version might become “mixed” or overlap.

This is one way a hub could be doubled. [?]

The difficulty, above, is that the OP is confused about how CAD works, and consequently has difficulty in explaining his ideas.

Here is a very general description of what happens with computer aided design systems.

An artist makes multiple design versions using a drawing tablet connected to a CAD system. Each of these are given file names and saved to the system memory and a separate database. When an overall design is selected, the artist modifies the original and uses the CAD specifications for a coin (or medal) to define slope, curve, depth and other parts of the design. When this step is complete, the design can be viewed is variable 3D to examine details and make additional changes. The CAD system will make all changes automatically to the visible illustration and to the sequence of operations for that specific design. That is, different designs do not (actually, cannot) merge except by intent of the designer.

When design work is complete, the computer file is sent to the Micron cutting tool system. This uses information in the design file to physically cut a relief version, which will eventually become a master hub and master die pair. As before, these are all defined by the CAD system so the identical cut can be made at any time, or can be modified if physical test strikes require changes.

Edited by RWB
Struggling with goofy formatting