• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grease filled Die
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I found this going through my quarters before hitting the bank today. This particular Quarter is known for having these type of marks from excessive grease in the die. I just wanted to post it for new members to see. Is it a error that got away ? Is it worth money, 25c for sure. After that anyone who wants it maybe will pay ?

S20220121_0002.jpg

S20220121_0001.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I found this going through my quarters before hitting the bank today. This particular Quarter is known for having these type of marks from excessive grease in the die. I just wanted to post it for new members to see. Is it a error that got away ? Is it worth money, 25c for sure. After that anyone who wants it maybe will pay ?

S20220121_0002.jpg

S20220121_0001.jpg

Yes, fairly common on these things.

A little additional info on these.  Look for doubling in this area of the saddle horn.

S20220121_0001.jpg.775125f149fb3a23ec5eba22a03f58d6.jpg

Yes you are correct TJ. There are a lot of state and park quarters with doubling on the coins. It is fun to find them but most are so small they do not add a lot of value to the coin. Unless of course you are listening to the coin hype guys on the internet trying to get clicks.  

On 1/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, tj96 said:

Yes, fairly common on these things.

A little additional info on these.  Look for doubling in this area of the saddle horn.

S20220121_0001.jpg.775125f149fb3a23ec5eba22a03f58d6.jpg

Hey @J P Mashoke.  I'm having a little trouble with this one.  In looking at the obverse, if this was a grease affected strike (greaser, struck through, etc....), it would have surely affected the letters TY in LIBERTY.  These letters appear well struck, with good relief, yet the area of distortion on the obverse encompasses these letters.  It's hard to tell from your pic if this distorted area is raised or incuse (speaking only about the obverse at this point). If it is incuse, and being that the letters are not affected, I would start leaning toward some type of planchet error/issue.  Just my thoughts here. 

Edited by GBrad

Anything is possible the areas are incuse. I think it did affect the letters a bit because they have the same pothole texture type finish .I think the grease was just squeezed out of the letter impressions and then out on to the field. I took some more shots  2 with the phone and 2 on a angle with the scope to try to show the edge of where the field drops down. I also have another coin I will dig out of the same date  that are also in the same area oddly enough

grease 2007.jpg

grease 2007 R.jpg

S20220121_0004.jpg

S20220121_0005.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke