• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are shipwreck coin registry points so suppressed?

2 posts in this topic

One of the more common shipwreck coins out there are from the SS Republic.  There are many very attractive halves available that could be used in registry sets.    They get shipwreck affect instead of a straight grade and they're worth less than 200 points.    Most of these coins were 5 to 7 years old or less when the ship went down and never circulated so they retain extremely nice details for the cost.   I will probably add one to my set some day regardless of the point snub.   I'd be fine with them being lower points than a standard graded version in same condition but the points hit makes them worth less than AU details to the registry.   I think I experimented with one and it was worth zero.   

They're extremely cool and hope that NGC is willing to give them another look as far as the registries are concerned.   They should be comparable to AU points at least.

• Administrator

Hello, Vess1, and thanks for your interest in the NGC Registry. Coins that have been labeled as "shipwreck effect" by our graders have severe environmental damage and many are not eligible for the NGC Registry at all.